Thread: SNOW & Smiles

SNOW & Smiles

Just last week I posted about using leg warmers on my 9 year old para daughter to keep her legs warm when she is out in the snow. Well, I thought that maybe this year with the mild Wisconsin winter that we have had so far that we just might not have to use them this year. Now, we just happen to have gotten almost 7 inches of snow this weekend. Today she was insistant that we get that new 9 foot blow up sled out so she can enjoy the snow. It took a while to get her ready with snowpants, boots and our trusty legwarmers. The trek up the hill was not the easiest. But to see the smile on her face when she flew down the hill with her brother was worth it all. Of course she had do do it about 5 times and couldn't understand why we were all getting worn out when she was still ready to go. Her Beagle even got in on the fun. I always say that no matter what, there is always a way to do anything.

What fun!

~Rus

"Life's a bitch, but I love her."

Snow + kids = smiles. That's great. Wise.

Laura, how wonderful a picture that makes in my mind! Did you take pictures?

Get her signed up for skiing!

This kid sounds like a natural to go learn snow skiing. Can you go with her as a family to one of the accessible skiing training programs?

(KLD)

RE: Snow pics and skiiing.

I really wish I would have had my camera out with me, but with thinking of all the things to get her ready I completely forgot about it. I did take lots of pics last year when we had a huge sledding party at our house. I really need to get a better computer so I can share some pics.
    I am going to have to check into the skiing. She isn't really a sports nut so it may take me a while to convince her on that one.
    She is going to start therapuetic riding in a couple of weeks. Horse riding was one thing that she enjoyed before, so why not continue. She did ride on a donkey tonight and thought that was fun.
    We have really tried to keep Heather's life as normal as possible for a 9 year old.

[QUOTE]
    We have really tried to keep Heather's life as normal as possible for a 9 year old
    [END QUOTE]
    Laura: THAT IS THE BEST. I got injured when i was a kid too and i think that one of the things that made me stronger was seeing that life can be "normal", that i can still do things i loved before and that the callenge just makes the results feel SO GOOD. It made me c that I will WALK someday but, till then, I can still live, I'll live towards the "cure" and with all theese short term goals but it's OKAY as long as I get those OUT OF THIS WORLD experiences of FREEDOM, like in her case: the sled rides, horseback riding, etc. But be ready, it gets more challenging as time goes on my mom says that after i recover, she'll disappear FAST before I break my neck again on another of my nuts adventures
    HEY... THATS LIFE
    good luck

Me.