Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ignorance

Originally posted by alissa:

I (c6) dated a para for a while. We were in NYC - He waited on the sidewalk while I was getting out of my van. Still on the lift, I was at eye level with some passer-by who immediately exclaimed "what happenned to you?" I looked at my date and replied "rough sex!" lol!!!!
    lol. When Phil (ex flatmate) and I were looking at houses to rent he told the landlords that I was giving my boyfriend a blow-job and he crashed the car! It certainly shuts them up!

I had a strange one last night

I was having dinner alone at one of my favorite Restaurants here last night "the Crazy Clam Cafe" and this older couple were sitting there staring at me while I was eating. I went to leave and they left at the same time and when I went out the door, they were waiting just outside and they both introduced themselves, so I shook hands with them and introduced myself. I thought they where going to try and sell me Amway or something. lol. So the woman started talking and said I am School Teacher and we just wanted to know what happened to you? Its like they just had to freaking know!!!. They must have been sitting there at their table wagering between themselves as to why I was in a wheelchair or something. It was too funny. Anyhow, I told them that I had always been like this because when I was born I came out sideways and the pressure from coming out like this snapped my back and I became a Paraplegic right at birth. But all was not lost because my mother sued the Doctor for 20 million Dollars and invested it in the stock market for me in 1960 and I was now worth about 295 million and owned property all over the world. That shut them up pretty darn quick. lol. Curtis

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I used to get EXTREMELY upset when people stared or made silly comments. Now, though, I don't mind people asking why I am in a chair. I see it this way: It's better to educate people than to be rude and encourage their continued ignorance. Maybe I'll enlighten someone about SCI and maybe that person will feel compelled to donate funds for research. At the very least, I've encouraged one person to look at people in chairs differently. Yeah, I still get pissed at stupid people. But the anger in this thread is unreal. Why be snarky to someone who asks a question? Did YOU know everything about SCI before you were injured? Doubtful.

She's right.....

Not for nothing but in MY OPINION, why even bother answering if you can't explain it, the jokes are good, sometimes I snap at people with'em but after I get a kick out of their face, I explain them the truth. I figure, the more people know about theese injuries, the more they can prevent it, ie: if my parents knew that diving and moving your hands out of place would make your head hit sand and break your spine, then, they could have avoided, explained me (eve though i was 12) or whatever but, no one can imagine that any thing as stupid as a 5 feet high jump can leave you paralized for so long ( i cant say forever cause even if it takes 80 years, i GOTTA get up, and I WILL )
    Anyhow, I'm not trying to be rude but come on, c it as your good action of the day, some fools open doors, you give people a new perspective in life, hows that?

Me.

It really kind of wrecked my day though

I was having a great day. Did 52 miles on my Handcycle, feeling great, had a good meal and was in a good mood. Why is it so important, What happened to you? to me it is just morbid curiousity, and people trying to satisfy themselves for thinking they are soooo much better off than some poor pitiful soul like me. I just really did not like the feeling it gave me and I thought it was a very rude thing to do and it really kind of wrecked my day. Why does the wheelchair always have to be so much the focus of attention? I mean there are all kinds of different people, good looking ones, ugly ones, why can't people just accept people for what they are. To me an equally rude thing would be for me to have waited for them to come through the door and me asking them, Why are you both so fat and Ugly looking? same thing. Curtis

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

How I feel about questions...

I actually am basically AB, yet I have a birth defect of the hip which causes a limp. I have always been the slowest person, etc. But I have learned to deal with it...

I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth into this thread. My friend is a C5/C6. But...the bottom line to me is...

If I am asked why I limp...and I have been asked that...even though it was waaaaay back in jr. high school, I told the girl that asked that "my limp gets me around, so I am ok with it." But in my senior year of high school, they let us read our student files, and my 6th grade teacher...whom I adored...had this one and only comment...

Teena walks with a decisive limp. Not Teena loves to write, or Teena is an avid reader or Teena does anything positive...just Teena has a decisive limp. Well...I think that comment gives me the right to post here...

If all anybody can say about me is that I limp, then they don't know me very well at all...or they have a problem...not me! :^)

And no, I have not asked anyone what happened to them...but if I ever DO come up and ask a stupid question, the reason is that I really care enough to want to know the answer! Maybe some people are just morbidly curious, but I actually care!

By the way...this looks like a good place to give you my very own quote that I wrote to my C5/C6 friend...

"Your wheelchair is just like a wristwatch. It helps you to get there on time. That's ALL!"
    --Teena

Looking past the chairs for all of YOU,

Teena

[This message was edited by teena on February 01, 2002 at 04:58 PM.]

Did not mean to offend you........

Hey Curtis, sorry if you took it the wrong way but, to me the only diference between an "a/b" & me is that I use a ramp when they go upstairs. You say u dont ask y they r so fat & ugly, well??? if thats how u feel then answer that back, geee... i dont feel a shame, embarassed, pity looking or anything else, if they ask its better than if they stare. As much as u hate it, u r ALWAYS going to be a point of attention, wether its from ignorants or from fools that "admire" u. I say fools cause they "admire" your braveness but inside im sure being thankful it's not them. My biggest goal is to walk it's truth but, since i feel i can still HAVE FUN, then i don't c the big deal about someones curiosity of what happened, but...
    Diferent strokes for diferent folks, sorry if it annoyed u.

Me.

Curtis, I agree. I would never go up to a total stranger and ask why they wear glasses, why they may be grossly overweight or underweight, why they're balding, why they have acne, why their teeth aren't straight, etc. I think it's rude, out of place, and tactless and only serves to satisfy the morbid curiosity of the person asking.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Polett:

to me the only diference between an "a/b" & me is that I use a ramp when they go upstairs.....As much as u hate it, u r ALWAYS going to be a point of attention, wether its from ignorants or from fools that "admire" u.... sorry if it annoyed u.

Polett,
    Even if it didn't annoy Curtis, It really annoyed me. When someone is having an off day, they shouldn't have to deal with other people's ignorance as well. Sure it is great to educate others when they dont understand, however I shouldn't have to explain myself to every stranger I meet on the street.
    There is quite a bit of difference between you and an "a/b" right now. Regardless of whether or not you think so, they do.

'I was at eye level with some passer-by who immediately exclaimed "what happenned to you?" I looked at my date and replied "rough sex!" lol!!!'

Priceless!