Thread: Walking Robots

Walking Robots

User2002 brought up the topic of exoskeletons as an interim solution for SCI (User2002 didn't use the term 'exoskeleton', I did).

I mentioned that Japanes scientists have been trying for years to develop a robpt that could walk on to legs and retain balance in all situations. The task is difficult, and as far as I know the robots that have been successful were still tethered by cables to massive computers (for the computations necessary to walk and balance, not for mechanical stability). I did a search on Google.com for "walking robot japan." Below are some links. Fascinating stuff, though I think we'll see a 'cure' before we're using exoskeletons.

Honda Walking Robot Project

Japan Atlas: Two Legged Walking Robot

Biped Robot Research in the World

~Rus

"We are not brave because we are free. We are free because we are brave." ~ Rich Ward (Stuck Mojo / Sick Speed)

Morons Making Decisions...

Lets hope that they decide to put the research money into a cure instead of a mild mobility improvement. But the way things are going....

Scorpion,

An underwater exoskeleton already exists. It basically allows you to lay in the cockpit and stay oxygenated while you maneuver underwater. I wish I could find the issue of Wired that mentions it...

Anyway, I would much rather money be spent on exosuits than wheelchair improvements. Not having to worry about being rained on would be cool, as would having an easy-to-move "standing table".

Geeze, now I want to watch Transformers, Thundercats, or Neon Genesis Evangelion.

-Steven

Steven, doesn't that suit require one to be AB to use?

~Rus

"We are not brave because we are free. We are free because we are brave." ~ Rich Ward (Stuck Mojo / Sick Speed)

I always thought the cargo machines Ripley was using in "Alien 2" (you might also remember the scene when she battles the mother alien on board the Space Marine ship with this device)was a great example of a functional exo-skeleton. Even though the movie is pure science fiction, I thought that particular idea was brilliant.

Hey yo to the peoples....
    That machine on Aliens would be very cool,picture youself walkin in to the the local pub in that bad boy.Till they can replace my bones with steel and my joints with hydralics i think thats the only robot i would be interested in...

~Shaun~

Scorpion

I searched through Wired.com and found the description of the machine. It appears that each suit is custom built, so they may be able to handle disabled people. Here is the description from Issue 3.02 of Wired:

Inner Spacecraft
    The Deep Flight personal submarine looks like it should be performing stunts in an asteroid belt, but it handles better a half-mile under the ocean's surface. The fiberglass body support is custom-molded for each pilot, to prevent fatigue during missions. The most maneuverable 12-foot-long craft is equipped with an on-board computer, sonar, and wireless underwater communications. It was designed to perform banks and barrel rolls, making it the first hy-drobatic submarine in the world. Deep Flight: Call for pricing. Deep Ocean Engineering: +1 (510) 530 9388.
    You can see something similar at: http://www.deepflight.com/subs/df1.htm

-Steven

Originally posted by Mike C:

I always thought the cargo machines Ripley was using in "Alien 2"...was a great example of a functional exo-skeleton.
    Yeah! Very cool stuff! And a killer movie.

I think we'll see that kind of stuff eventually, just not as a substitution for an SCI cure. But you never know.

~Rus

Steven, Cool! Thanks for the info!

~Rus