Thread: Help!! Hotmail question!

Help!! Hotmail question!

I've changed ISPs so many times I've resorted to hotmail full time. My BlueLight internet doesn't allow me to use Netscape Messenger or Outlook Express, either.

How do I get a photo to appear in the messages I send? All it does is leave an outline when the recipient looks at the message.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Jeff,

I suppose that I am one of those people who get married once and stay married till death doth us part. I am one of the oldest user of AOL, having been a member since 1990. In 1991, I started with a small New York ISP called Pipeline. Founded by James Gleick of Chaos and Genius fame, it has merged and remerged at least four times but they have allowed the original users to keep the pipeline address. Its most recent incarnation is Earthlink. But, as you can see, I am still using the pipeline address. I am glad that I stuck with them.

The display of pictures on emails depends on the settings of your email program. Most modern email programs allow emails to display HTML and, in that case, it downloads the picture through the URL address. If your ISP does not allow direct access to internet, this might present a problem. It was one of the reasons why I went to Pipeline because in the early days AOL forced people to go through their servers and internet access was indirect. But, I retained AOL for backup purposes.

Email programs that use a popmail server will automatically download all mail and attachments onto the computer. But, if you are using an email program that does not download messages and attachments until you can read them, this may be part of the problem. I use popmail because I want everything sent to me downloaded onto my disk rather than trust the vagaries of the ISP server or internet connections.

There are many local ISP's but I would avoid ISP's that do not allow direct internet access or force you to use their programs. That is usually a bad sign. These types of ISP's will never get big or stick around for longer than a few years. I believe that the industry will consolidate and the smaller ISP's will all be frozen out because of the economy of volume. Eventually, they will be bought out and you will have to change your email address again.

I recommend using the biggest ISP's (Earthlink, AOL, Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, etc.) for the following reasons. You can connect up anywhere in the United States and often overseas as well through local numbers. They usually have the resources to keep the service up no matter what happens on internet. For me, the stability and reliability of internet access is well worth the $15-$50 per month that they charge (the higher end depending on whether you use DSL/cable). I don't use DSL or cable from home because I have access to high speed internet connections in my office and 56K is sufficient for most purposes.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on January 17, 2002 at 09:08 AM.]

Thanks, Dr. Young

I'm using the Kmart of internet service, literally. It's not very good.

Hotmail allows me to send HTML but when I paste a local file from my hard drive the recipient doesn't receive it. I'll try pasting one in from an internet server and see if that works. With the others you get a choice of storing the photo in the email or a link only. I guess the web-based email systems use a link only.

Is it a popmail server? Hotmail, as I understand it, is a popmail server. However, what they may do is restrict attachments. I don't know, not having had hotmail before. If so, the attachment that you send may not be stored and downloaded. Most popmail servers have restrictions on attached files or the sizes of files.

Wise.

Hotmail question

Hi Jeff,
    I use hotmail too, and send files [either document files or photos] as attachments. It works fine; the recipient just has to open the attachment. Hope this helped!

Thanks, Dr. Young & SCI Mom

Actually attachments work fine. Just wanted that effect of having the photo appear in the message. Plus, some places will not accept email with attachments.

I finally got around the problem by configuring my Yahoo! email account to work with Netscape Messenger. They have pretty good instructions on how to do it but you must sign up to receive special advertisements to be eligible.

I wanted to include a photo in an email to my senators and didn't think anyone would take the time to open an attachment. I'm asking for my wife's visa to be expedited and wanted to make an effect on the aide reading the email.

Should be good to go!