Perhaps you are looking for the wrong specialist. Neurologists as a rule know very little about SCI or rehabilitation as it is rarely included in their basic training. Unless you can find one who is board certified in SCI Medicine in addition to neurology, you would probably be better off looking for a physiatrist, who is a specialist in rehab (PM and R or Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation). Even better would be a physiatrist who is also board certified in SCI Medicine.

You might want to check with the rehabilitation center at Washoe Medical Center in Reno to start. If you cannot find anyone there, it might be worth your time to travel for consultation with a good physiatrist in the Sacramento area. You probably need someone who can work together on a consultation basis with a local internist or family practice doctor.