Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is 100% recovery possible?

"She'll never be a jock"

I know what you probably meant, but around here, you get your hand spanked for this type of mis-cue, faux-pas, mis-speak, etc.

Take the kid skiing where thay have a kick-ass adaptive ski school. Then check out a national tournament for wheelchair tennis. Both these sports integrate able-bodied and H/C athletes.

And last, try to catch a quad-rugby tournament where the best show up. Looks pretty athletic to me.

Recovery

Hey, Topspin,

I'm sorry if I offended you, but the 'not a jock' comment comes from her before the SCI, so it is just part of the venacular around here. Maybe I should have said 'even if 100% recovered, she wouldn't be an AB jock.'? Funny thing is that now she is in better phyiscal shape than ever. she and her dad go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week, and exersize was something she shunned before.
    She is a musician. Her problems now include not being able to use the pedals on the piano, and not being able to play her oboe well and stand at the same time. She has a concerto competition next Monday, and to play her best, she must sit. I'm just thrilled she can still play, but she is a perfectionist.
    I know, most people here would love that to be their problem.

M.Elston SCI Mom to 15YO incomplete L2-3

Recovery and sport

The Hungarian sport pistol shooter Takacs comes to my mind, he took an Olympic gold in 1936. He lost his shooting arm during the WWII. In 1948 he come home with another gold using his newly trained opposite arm. To slow down somehow with sports with age however is sensible thing. I did in my thirties as well.

I too was told that I wouldn't walk again but proved the medical profession wrong (although to be fair there was one doctor who told me that there "was a good chance I would" - he was the only one who had any faith apart from me!). I think that there's a special school somewhere where they teach all doctors to be harbingers of doom and gloom.

I'm 2.5 years post, broke L2 in a car accident. I had some sensation but was paralysed for 2 months. Finally my toes started moving and from then on there was no looking back (well, as far as my right leg was concerned. I have to use a full length caliper on the left).

Gvinton, there were a couple of other patients in hospital at the same time as me who walked out to all intents and purposes 'fully recovered'. By that I mean that they were able to walk unassisted and no-body would ever know that they had a SCI. From personal experience, you'll probably fatigue easily for a few months yet. I can walk a fair way now but when I was first out of hospital a trip to the supermarket would destroy me for the rest of the day.

As far as getting back into playing sport, well maybe you should just concentrate on your gym work and be thankful for what you've got back. You might not be so fortunate a second time around.

Take care and good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Have you ever considering sueing your doctor?

"If he hadn't told me I wouldn't walk again, I would have worked harder, and thus would have recovered more"

I'm getting sick and tired of the same old story of "The medics didn't believe in me"

Eric Texley

I don't think that it would be appropriate or effective to sue doctors for stating what they feel is true and is believed by a majority of doctors. The answer is education rather than lawsuits. Wise.

Thank you all for your responses and inspiration. Fortunately, I enjoy the physical nature of working out and don't have any intention of slowing down.

This past weekend I made it to the golf range and put my hockey skates on for the first time since my injury (not both at the same time). I plan to use precaution with my adventures while fully enjoying the second chance I've been given. I never lived in fear prior to my injury and don't wish to start now. Hopefully at some point I can definetively tell you that 100% recoveries are possible, until then I'll just keep trying.

Thanks again.

Not for completes

I've known incompletes who have gotten significant feeling and voluntary movement back. I envy them. I have never heard of someone with a complete injury with a significant recovery unless they were diagnosed as completes but are actually incompletes.

I'm a T-10 complete who has not recovered any feeling or voluntary function beneath my level of injury. It's very disheartening. It appears the only hope for completes is a dramatic medical breakthrough. It seems, though, that this is years away and I'm 50 years old.

Scribe, for much of my career, I have heard this refrain: if a person recovers, it must be because the person was incomplete. It is the ultimate catch-22. Yes, it is true that no neurological examination can be perfect, some little patch of sensation might have been missed or the person had a little toe wiggle at some time during the hours that followed spinal cord injury. But, while it is not common, some people with so-called "complete" spinal cord injury can and have recovered substantial function. I address this issue in http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir...IRecovery.html

Wise.