Thread: How many paralaysed patients exist in TURKEY

How many paralaysed patients exist in TURKEY

dear dr wise

my aim is minumum 10.000 visitors per day alone from Turkey gets correct informations from this site. Somebody is said to me at least 200.000 SCI Patients exist in TURKEY.Because of this related with Traffic accidents.If we lost you ,nobody will care us.For this reason on 2002 our goal must be min 100.000 visitors on world basis visiting you.

one of the diffuculty the organisations are related with mostly care. for example correting the roads and giving the wheelchair to the patients. but according to the my idea these activities is the mission of leftist or rihts parties activities. What am saying. ıf your policy is the care than you can partic
    ipitate the partty and help the patients and there is no need to be paralysed also. many home owner person helps the many homeless person.

ın my ideaıf you SCI Person you must be fanatic CURE BELIEVER.Because this illness really torture.
    millions of young are living in grave.they %50 died and %50living.

SCI different than aıds and heart diaese or whatever else.SCI IR REAL TERRORISIM.

But many of my friend accepted thir condition and life is going on they have no strong energy to fight to get enough fundıng.they have accepted thir fate.

now Im tryıng to explaın some of them.but very am very sad.because am the only visitors every day coming this site from turkey .the others 200.000 dont knows this site

my best regards
    please dont leave us.ıf you go then there is no hope

I will try to find out how many people have SCI in Turkey. I have a superb Turkish neurosurgeon working with me in the laboratory.

What is the current population of Turkey? According to http://www.bigglook.com/biggtravelen...pulation.html, there are about 63 million people or about a quarter of the U.S. population.

Unfortunately, although the incidence (the number of new cases) of spinal cord injury is known for many countries, prevalence (the number of people with spinal cord injury) data are not readily available for any country. In the U.S., the prevalence is not known although an often cited number is 250,000 which was estimated over 10 years ago. Although many web sites have been citing numbers as high as 500,000 people with SCI in the U.S., I don't think that there is a good basis for these estimates. http://www.fscip.org/facts.htm

If the prevalence of SCI is similar in Turkey and U.S., and the U.S. SCI population is about 250,000 one might expect there to be about 60,000 people with SCI in Turkey. Here are some published studies the incidence of SCI in Turkey.

• Karacan I, Koyuncu H, Pekel O, Sumbuloglu G, Kirnap M, Dursun H, Kalkan A, Cengiz A, Yalinkilic A, Unalan HI, Nas K, Orkun S and Tekeoglu I (2000). Traumatic spinal cord injuries in Turkey: a nation-wide epidemiological study. Spinal Cord. 38 (11): 697-701. Summary: STUDY DESIGN: An epidemiological study conducted all over the country. OBJECTIVE: The present retrospective study was conducted to survey the new traumatic spinal cord injury (SCI) cases during 1992 in Turkey. SETTING: Intensive care units, emergency services and departments of orthopaedic surgery, neurosurgery and rehabilitation of state hospitals, rehabilitation centers, military and university hospitals. METHODS: Postal questionnaires were used for data collection and the records from medical institutes nation-wide were reviewed for the analysis of the epidemiological factors. RESULTS: Five hundred and eighty-one new traumatic SCI cases were reported in 1992. The annual incidence was found to be 12.7 per million population. Male to female ratio was 2.5:1 and the average age at injury was 35.5+/-15.1 (35.4+/-14.8 for males and 35.9+/-16.0 for females). The most common cause of injury was motor vehicle accidents (48.8%) followed by falls (36.5%), stab wounds (3.3%), gunshot injuries (1.9%) and injuries from diving (1.2%). One hundred and eighty-seven patients (32.18%) were tetraplegic and 394 patients (67.8%) were paraplegic. The most common level of injury was C5 among tetraplegics and T12 among paraplegics. The most prevalent associated injury was head trauma followed by extremity fractures. Severe head trauma resulting in death may obscure the real incidence of SCI and may cause underreporting of cases in epidemiological studies. CONCLUSION: Considering that motor vehicle accidents and falls were found to be the leading causes of traumatic SCI, it was concluded that the prevention measures should be focused mainly on these in order to reduce the frequency of SCI in Turkey. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&li st_uids=11114778> Bakirkoy Istanbul, Turkey.

• Karamehmetoglu SS, Nas K, Karacan I, Sarac AJ, Koyuncu H, Ataoglu S and Erdogan F (1997). Traumatic spinal cord injuries in southeast Turkey: an epidemiological study. Spinal Cord. 35 (8): 531-3. Summary: In 1994, a retrospective study of new cases of traumatic Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) was conducted in all the hospitals in Southeast Turkey: 75 new traumatic SCI were identified. The estimated annual incidence was 16.9 per million population. The male/female ratio was 5.8/1. The mean age was 31.3, being 31.25 for male patients and 31.36 for female patients. 70.7% of all patients were under the age of 40. The major causes of SCI were falls (37.3%) and gunshot wounds (29.3%), followed by car accidents (25.3%), and stab wounds (1.3%). Thirty one patients (41.3%) were tetraplegic and 44 (58.7%) paraplegic. In tetraplegic patients the commonest level was C5, in those with paraplegia L1. The commonest associated injury was head trauma followed by fractures of the extremity(ies). Severe head trauma, being a major cause of death, may have obscured the actual incidence of SCI. Most of gunshot injured SCI patients were young soldiers fighting against the rebels. As there was no available data for the rebels with SCI, the actual incidence of SCI in Southeast (SE) Turkey should be higher than that found in this study. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&li st_uids=9267919> Istanbul University, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Dept., Turkey.

• Karamehmetoglu SS, Unal S, Karacan I, Yilmaz H, Togay HS, Ertekin M, Dosoglu M, Ziyal MI, Kasaro glu D and Hakan T (1995). Traumatic spinal cord injuries in Istanbul, Turkey. An epidemiological study. Paraplegia. 33 (8): 469-71. Summary: This is a retrospective study conducted in all of the hospitals of Istanbul to survey new patients with a traumatic spinal cord injury (SCI) in 1992. In that year 152 new traumatic SCI were identified. The estimated annual incidence was 21 per million population. The male/female ratio was 3/1. The mean age was 33, being 34 for male patients and 31 for female patients. 72% of all patients were under the age of forty. The major causes of SCI were falls (43%) and car accidents (41%), followed by being struck by an object (7%), gunshot injury (5%), stab injury (2%). Fifty patients (33%) were tetraplegic and 102 (67%) paraplegic. Regarding the tetraplegic patients the commonest level was C5, in those who were paraplegic L1. There were no cases at levels C1, T1 or T2. The commonest associated injury was head trauma, followed by fractures of an extremity (or extremities). Severe head trauma, as a major cause of death, may obscure the actual incidence of SCI in this study. Accidental falls (exceeding road accidents) were mostly due to falls from buildings and accidents on work premises. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&li st_uids=7478742> Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University.