Thread: 14 Years

14 Years

Today is my 14 year anniversary of being a C5-6 Quad. And I must say the best of all my years AB or not we had our frist child in June.Every year gets alittle easier and harder,for each year I get wiser but also each year my body seems to age twice as fast so each year i work harder at staying in shape hell sounds no differet then my AB friends I guess I have nothing to complain about just a lot to be thankful for.If I can be of any help to anyone let me know e-mail me or leave a response here I have been playing this game awhile now.

Congrats on making it this far. I'm about 3 years behind you. No kids yet, but maybe someday.

~Rus

"We are not brave because we are free. We are free because we are brave." ~ Rich Ward (Stuck Mojo / Sick Speed)

t118...

I really admire all you people having the bravory to stand it for years and keep pushing on and on.
    I'm only 15 months post. In the begining when I was told in the hospital that I will have to be paralised for 6 months I couldn't imagine it.
    When these 6 months passed I was still sitting in tha chair and was again told that it will take more time up to 6months. They passed too and I'm steel sitting....
    But somehow I get used to living in this situation and the time passes really fast as I learn to live again.

Thats why I congratulate You and all like you who haven't given up.
    Keep on like this and hope we all will be cured.

wow 14 years

ive been injured now2.5 years.i understand what ya say about it getting a bit easier each day.i guess fr me the biggest barrier is im still learning.it seems i find out somthing new about this sci and live each week.i sure hope their is some kinda therapy/partial cure soon.i really am concerned about being this way years down the road.i cannot accept or see myself having to continue in this way of life as i get older.fortunatly for now im a young 33.but what about 20 years from now.i see my dad at 54 and know he could do this life as i do but with more diffuculty.the years of logging and firewood has made an old man outta him before his time..that form of making a living has slap beet the snot outta me to.its only a matter of time before it cathches up to me.ive broken so many bones at so many different times.already got arthritis in both hand,elbow,both knees and both ancles.the knees and ancle wer from climbing day after day after day.granted the knees and ancles connot be felt any more.ow lets not forget the broken kneck and the broken back.when allthis does cath up,i think im ganna lose so much mobility.

scott r

Being older and then being injured...

I have found the struggle for each day tiring. I was injured, with a TBI and lesions at T4, T8, and T11, at 43 years of age and that was seven years ago. It does not make any difference how old you are when your injury occurs, it only matters what sort of mind set you take when you begin to recover.
    Recovery happens when you accept the fact that you may possibly have to live in this damned wheelchair for the rest of your life. Hope lies in the research for a cure which I hope I will live to see. I hope for the best but expect the worst and this is how I manage to live with the pain and problems I face each day.
    I was forced into retirement when my accident happened having suffered a TBI which affects my memory, learning abilities, and motivation. This has not stopped me from learning (be it ever so slowly) to get out on the internet and follow what is going on in the world.
    I have always had the philosophy that the day I stop learning is the day I die and I am not really ready to cross over just yet. The next time you run into problems that seem insurmountable think of it as a challenge. Although I am not looking forward to it, it will be interesting when I reach 65 years. It will present a great challenge.
    FYI, I live in Phoenix, AZ with my wife who works all day. I believe I am a level 6 on the independence scale needing only minimum assistance for my care. I take great comfort that the fractures at C1 and C2 only affected my ability to sweat below that level. I guess this is why I thank God each passing day as I am.

"And so it begins."

time

I'm coming up on 22 years as a c7 quad on Dec. 27th, I'm 46 yr/old now.

Hang in there new injuries ! Move what ever you can, when ever you can, lol ... and keep a sence of humor, its important.

Peace to all during the holidays,
    craig

TD

I have to disagree with you on how it doesn't matter what age you are at the time of your injury. I was injuried 7/80 at 20 years old and I can always think back to all the great experiences I had as a child and teenager.
    As miserable as times are for me I will never forget the things I did as being able bodied, especially from age 15 on. What about some kids that never had this chance. Then I did my rehab there was four 15 year old kids there, I often think of this and how screwed they got.
    So I really think the later your injury the better, that sounds pretty warped, if there is any good time, but you know what I mean.

ALL,,,KEEP ON GO'N .

HI T118,,,MUCH CREDIT TO YOU AND CONTINUED GOOD LUCK IN QUADHOOD. I AGREE AND RELATE WELL WITH,,,''Every year gets alittle easier and harder,for each year I get wiser but also each year my body seems to age twice as fast so each year i work harder at staying in shape,,, .'' == SO TRUE, AT LEAST IN MY EXPERIENCE OF 21 YRS OF C-4/5 QUADHOOD. YES, IT GETS A ''BIT'' EASIER EACH YR BECAUSE YOU DO BECOME ''WISER'' ON HOW TO HANDLE YOURSELF AND LIFE. ''HOWEVER, EVEN AFT DOING 21YRS I'M STILL LEARNING AND FIGURING MY WAY THROUGH THIS SCI JOURNEY.''

AND THANX FOR THIS ONE, NOW I KNOW I'M NOT ALONE; ''YES, YOU DO FEEL LIKE YOUR BODY AGES QUICKER EACH YR. I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME.'' AS THE TIME GOES ON, I DEFINITELY HAVE TO TAKE CARE AND FOCUS ON MY HEALTH MUCH MORE.

TVOT,,,, ''So I really think the later your injury the better, that sounds pretty warped, if there is any good time, but you know what I mean.''== YEA, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. I WAS INJURED AT 17 1/2, AND HECK YEA IF I WAS GOING TO BE INJURED I WISH IT WERE A LATER TIME IN LIFE. BUT, ''I CAN SAY AND THANK GOD FOR THE WAY I LIVED/THE THINGS I DID BEFORE SCI,,,''ESPECIALLY FROM 14 TO 17 1/2, IT WAS REAL GOOD.''

SCOTT R,,,''that form of making a living has slap beet the snot outta me to.its only a matter of time before it cathches up to me.ive broken so many bones at so many different times.already got arthritis in,,,''== YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT SCOTT BUT HANG IN THERE. TAKE ''CRAIG'S'' ADVICE; ''Move what ever you can, when ever you can, lol ... and keep a sence of humor, its important.''== JUST KEEP ON MOVING , WHATEVER YOU CAN, AS LIL AS IT MAY BE. ''KEEP ON MOV'N.'' I KNOW WHAT U MEAN ABOUT HAVING A BANGED UP BODY,,,I PLAYED FULL CONTACT FOOTBALL FROM 8 YRS OLD 'TILL MY INJURY AND I BEAT THE HELL OUTTA MY BODY. ALSO, BEING A ''PHYSICAL'' TYPE PERSON, I WASN'T EASY ON MY BODY. '''BUT NO REGRETS I LIVED FREE AND HAD FUN.'' SCOTT, AT LEAST YOU HAVE THE NICE WARM/HOT SUNNY FLA WEATHER, YOU'RE LUCKY THE COLD ONLY ENHANCES ONE'S ACHES AND PAINS.

TVOT

Perhaps it is my TBI that makes my message unclear. I am simply saying what I hear from other people on this and other forums. Our lives are what we make of them from this point on. Yeah, the young ones got screwed being injured when they did but they should not dwell on what they have missed or lost. Your life is what you make of it not what you could have made of it. My then-teenage daughter used to ask me questions that would start out "What would you do if..." and I learned to not to try to think about such things. They only made my head hurt from worry. I actually thank God sometimes that I cannot remember clearly. It gives me a clear perspective on each day.

"And so it begins."