Thread: What do you miss the most?

What do you miss the most?

I've been reading the posts in Last Walk which brings back alot of memories. Although its very emotional and upsetting, I find it good to have a good cry at my loss. I also want to keep those memories alive in fear I may one day forget.

What I miss the most is that feeling of utter freedom I used to get.

The feeling that I got when I felt the wind through my hair when riding my bike with no hands.

The feel-good factor that going for a good heart racing run used to give me.

The uncontrolable feeling in every part of my body to dance when my favorite song was played.

You know that feeling, the one where every part of you is so free to move how and where you want. The feeling that you are so powerful and free that nothing could knock you down. The one that used to give you a warm glow inside and a huge smile on your face.

Its funny how you never really appriciated the saying 'you don't know what you've got till its gone'.

I often lie awake and long for that feeling. But in my darkest moments I often question if I'll ever get it back.

The biggest thing I miss is my independence, the freedom to get up and do what I want, when I want, and how I want it.

I also miss being able to express my feelings with my body, Whether it be hugging somebody, holding hands, or touching. I was a very affectionate person before my injury.

I miss many things, but those are the biggys!
    Cynthia

Holding A Loved One

Nothing beats it.

-Steven

tikit2ride -- you expressed the way I feel. Cynthia echoed those thoughts with her comments about freedom. Even though I am independent I do not feel free. I just want to leap out of bed in the morning, shower, shave and dress in fifteen minutes, load up my car with equipment and head to the beach or anywhere else I want to go. I could puke just thinking about how slow and difficult and complicated my life is. I want to dance and run and walk and skip and not worry about stairs and curbs and where's the elevator and is the bathroom accessible. I want to spend five seconds on a five second task instead of five minutes. I want my body back, my abilities back, my time back, my freedom back and my future back. I'd love to get my youth back, but it's lost. I spent all of it fighting to survive as a quadriplegic robbed of God's greatest gift of life. I've gone further than anyone thought I would but I'm not satisfied. I want a cure.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Confidence!

I miss everything that has already been stated. Thought of another one to add- Confidence. I have felt insecure and shy in public ever since i got in this thing. I hate the way my body looks and clothes fit. I still don't feel comfortable going somewhere and waiting for someone to arrive to meet me- I will wait in my car. I have yet to go grocery or clothes shopping by myself. I feel like everyone looks at me weird. I hate that a lot. I guess that ties into the independance thing that has already been said though.

dancing

i second all of the previous post, JEFF you said exactly what i feel everyday. i was a great dancer in high school and in college i danced in front of the marching band and later on when i'd was out on the town i'd spend 95% of the time on the dance floor. i had dreams of teaching dance and even since my injury wondered if i could relay my dance ideas into actual moves for my would-be students and the thought is so frusterating!and i don't want anyone to post that it can be done from this wheelchair because i don't plan on staying in this chair and i'm dam sure not gonna accept it!... OK , GUYS THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT

I miss

Jogging on the beach, I use to do a lot of jogging before 3/4 of my body was lost due to my t-4 complete injury in 1981. I really miss playing tennis, I use to love tennis and also playing golf. I miss Bicycle riding, the handcycle is great in that it gives me back some of that feeling of riding a bicycle, but it is still not the same. Most of all I miss the respect that people use to treat me with when I was standing 6 foot 1 tall, now I mostly get pity, especially from women. Some things just don't get easier. I also sometimes have a hard time going out in public, my self esteem has definately gotten worse the last couple of years.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred