View Poll Results:

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not me, I'm having too much fun the way I am

4 12.90%
  • Not me, I don't want to come back and have everyone be old and the world gone to hell

9 29.03%
  • Yes, but just for five years

3 9.68%
  • Yes, but only ten years or until a definite cure is available

7 22.58%
  • Yes, freeze me for as long as it takes!

8 25.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you would freeze yourselves?

I voted #2. Unless you froze everyone I loved, I wouldn't want to come back.
    I'm lonely enough now!

A

If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud --Emile Zola--

Jeff

Jeff, I agree, #2 is a good choice for me. While the poll may not be perfect, I admire your creativity and inginuity. I found it thought provoking......as much as I would love to have additional function, I am with Andrea, don't want to leave behind my loved ones.

Originally posted by Jeff:

They've successfully revived a dog after seventy-two hours in the deep freeze.
    But, Jeff, the cells begin being damaged right away as the water inside each crystalizes. Keeping this from happening is a serious hurdle. I doubt this dog had no brain damage from 72 hours in a deep freeze. Where'd you see this anyway? I'd like to check it out.

Besides, I've got plenty of imagination. I just get tired of 'imagining' fantasies. At any rate, I voted #2.

~Rus

"Because you're not promised tomorrow." ~ Stuck Mojo

I saw it on TV

It had to be real because they showed the dog walking around afterwards. It was a German Shephard and I remember seeing it wet and shaking the water off. I think it was about two years ago and I can't remember the name of the show. I'll try to look it up sometime when I get a few minutes or you could try too if you like.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I couldn't find the results I saw on TV

This site has everything imaginable about cryonics.

http://www.benbest.com/cryonics/cryiss.html#anchor3

Here's a few quotes:

Cryoprotectants used in cryonic freezing reduce damage, but do not eliminate it. Progress continues to be made in the reduction of damage, but damage still occurs. The crucial question is: does freezing damage destroy beyond all repair the biological basis of human consciousness and identity? No one can answer this question with certainty until science discovers the physical basis of consciousness and identity in the brain. Cryonicists are hoping that all damage is reparable with nanotechnology and that research on vitrification will soon eliminate freezing. (See Vitrification in Cryonics )

A cryoprotectant can make water harden like glass -- with no crystal formation -- a process called vitrification. Freezing-damage to cells is due to the formation of ice-crystals.

BTW, Half of us would freeze ourselves for at least five years!

Wow - that's rather telling. Of the half who would not, most choose not to because of important events passing them by while asleep, not because their quality of life is on par with pre-injury conditions.

not a chance....

You missed a choice..."Not me, I want to fight for a cure." I don't believe in the cure fairy. Nobody's gonna come by while I'm sleeping and make me all better. I don't have time to snooze. We are members of a community that will walk again and change the world...but only if we help each other bust out of this stupid "neurological prison." (Albert Bohbott)

Contrary to what the rehab "psyhologist" told me, I don't believe I'm impotent....neither sexually, no in changing my situation. People like Rick Hansen, Dr. Young, Chris Reeve have set the stage. We have to put on the show!

[This message was edited by Eric Texley on November 13, 2001 at 07:04 PM.]

Eric - Then #2 would be your best choice. There are lots of answers omitted - there's not room enough in a poll to represent everyone's reason for replying, "No."

#5 no hesitation at all

Not me, I'm having too much fun the way I am?

Your responses may have something to do with your wording. A simple no isn't good enough?