Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to addapt car for PARAPLEGICS?

How to addapt car for PARAPLEGICS?

Hello,
    Its me again))
    I plan to bye a car so I can live more independently.
    But don't know how to adapt it so I can drive it.
    It will used car with automatic shifting of course.
    But have no idea of how to addapt the pedals (brake/accelerate)for hand using.
    If you know some way to overcome this problem pls share your experience with me.
    Bye

Do You know if I can bye a second hand steering wheel adapted for people like me.
    I mean break and accelerate on it to use with hands.

Thnk You in advance.

Hand controls

Hopefully you will find someone here with an old pair of hand controls that would get them to you cheap. This has been discussed before. You might also post on www.newmobility.com as this has also been discussed there and I bet between the two you will find a cheap set. You can also check on www.ebay.com using "hand controls" as your search term.

Thanks a lot for the information I'll check this out wright now.
    Do u have ur own car?
    If so how do u get in and out of it and how do u put the w/c in the car by yourself?

two door

In my opinion, a two door car is better than a four door because the front doors are too small on a four door. A two door car will offer more room. Then if your chair is collapsable, or a break down chair (which is what I use) I just take the chair apart and put it in the seat next to me in the front, or throw it in the back. Very simple. Also, portable hand controls can be purchased at www.sportaid.com

I know someone...

who drove their old car for a month by lifting his leg and placing his foot on the accelerator and brakes as needed. He finally was almost killed and then relented and bought hand controls.

I use that method while driving bumper cars and go karts. The only problem is that I really only have one speed: pedal to the metal. I'm a terror to the other drivers but it's a lot of fun.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

does it have to be an automatic gear car ONLY?
    isn't there a kind of adaption for manual cars?
    i'll have to buy a car soon also.

Standard shift

Years ago before automatics were very common they made hand controls with a motorcycle style throttle, pushing down activated the clutch and pushing in, the brake. To do the brake and clutch you pushed in at a 45 degree angle. You could only shift while going straight because you had to take your hand off the steering wheel to do it. The older gentleman telling me about them was really glad when he finally got an automatic. They're a lot easier.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I remember a company in Portland, Oregon named Stohr who made adaptive controls for paraplegic race car drivers. I was unable to access their website but they have an adaptive stearing wheel which has brake/accelorator triggers on either side, and push button upshift and downshift on the steering wheel also within thumbs reach. The clutch was automatic most likely pneumatic air. It seems to me that any manual car could be converted this way, much like motorcycles adapted for paralyzed people.

gpbullock
    thanks a lot for the information.
    Can you pls send me their URL?
    Its really important for me(and not only for me)because an hour ago a friend of mines also a paraplegic crashed with his adapted car.
    The reason for this was that his accelerator blocked so he couldnt stop and crashed.
    Thanks GOD he is alive.Only his car i damaged.
    bye

Fernando

I consulted with many people owners of adapted cars they all said that the best solution of our problem is having a car with automatic transmision.
    Its much much easier to drive and only a little more expensive.
    You can try to find a used car as I did.