Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man, I love the afterglow!

FES

The FES sounds like a good idea - do you think the muscle work would build up bone as well?

How do your legs look compared with pre injury?

Any effect on the stomach muscles?

US$12,000 is a lot - I must check out whether ACC would consider buying me one.

I have calipers and a standing frame - does anyone think the FES would replace that or should be used in conjunction?

Thanks

Chris

CP

Dr. Young said bike pedaling FES was not a weight bearing exercise but that it might help. It does definitely help your joints, though. If you could do both you'd be ahead of the curve.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Jeff, you were 20 years post before you started using your FES?

I would think the muscles would be too withered to even respond to E-stim unless you've had good spasms over the years.

Because of my knee contracture I have good calves and muscles on the backs of my thighs but I think the muscles used to extend or straighten the leg, the ones in front of the shin and thighs, are gone after 22 years of nonuse. How do your legs look now?

Seneca

My legs looked pretty good eight months ago. I'd been riding for several months at that point. Over the twenty years since my accident I've had good spasticity and used spasms to exercise my legs, mostly my quads. Never did anything to exercise my hams or gluts. But, my quads, hams and gluts all responded well to FES and they get stronger real quick. My legs are real small, again, and pretty flabby. I'm starting all over with FES but after a few months I'll notice some pretty good gains. Plus, I'm rehabbing my left knee and my joints in general. I have pain on and off and the doc says exercise is the best thing for it. I had fairly massive swelling when I began with the bike but it lessened over time and finally went away. I'm really glad to be doing this now, before a cure is available. I think anyone who tries FES will be surprised at how well their legs respond even many years after injury.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~