Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man, I love the afterglow!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Man, I love the afterglow!

Just did my first FES ride after almost eight months. My legs were too weak to dramatically challenge my cardio-vascular system. Completed the thirty minutes dropping down to minimum resistance after only five minutes. Still, I now have no spasticity, again, after it had returned with a vengeance, and I also have that endorphin-enriched feeling of accomplishment. I hand-cycled everyday in the Philippines which kept my heart in shape. All those hills I hated did me well!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Here I thought that you were talking about your honeymoon...

LOL

Actually, that "endorphin-enriched feeling of accomplishment" happened in my honeymoon, too!

I think a lot of the depression that is so hard to avoid when you're paralyzed can be partially corrected with FES. Building up your muscles takes away some of the pain of having a withered body, not to mention the pain of sitting on your ass sixteen hours per day. And, man, those endorphins...

Definately true Jeff, can say that from first hand experience

Let us know how long it takes you to get back to you're previous levels before you left for the Philipeanes. I would think within three weeks or so you should be back to normal? In my trip to Florida this year (three months) I am thinking about bringing mine with me, the problem is that it is a pain to move as it is so big and bulky. I would have to carry it down there in the back of my pickup truck. Electrologic suggests I not take it, but I hate like heck to lose all the hard worked for bulk in my legs. Lately everyone is wondering why I am sitting in a wheelchair as my legs are looking so awesome lol.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

FES

Man I am so stupid - but what is FES? just want to know 'cause whatever it is - if it makes you feel better I want to do it Thanks

jeff and fes

i am desparately looking for a used fes bike can anyone help?

Most people say that Joy until they hear 12 grand for the Machine

But to me, feeling good and looking good is worth it. So if you fall under the guidelines that FES (Functional Electrical Stimulation) is of use for, I would highly recommend doing it. I understand a person must be above the level of T-10, all the way up to C-1, Chris Reeve uses FES.

Here is a site that will tell you everything you need to know about FES www.Electrologic.com Please note the handsome fella below Chris Reeve and above Mike utley is you'res truely, (me). I have been very satisfied with the results I have attained in using my FES Bike, I find using it once every other day for an hour is adequite. Too bad that more people did not let the fear or the dollar factor turn them off from getting into a FES program, an hour every other day is not much to ask for the benefits that can be derieved from such a program.

I have many friends who are Paralyzed like me and have the money and see what its done for me, but still will not get one, instead they will buy a house, a car or an expensive piece of jewerly for their wives or something. Sometimes I really wonder about people. Curtis

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

How about a fundraiser and buy a new bike Glomae?

The new bikes are so much better than the old bikes, they have vastly improved the waveforms and are Capable of giving you a far better workout, plus the new ones are so much easier to use. But if you are still interested in a used one www.musclepower.com maintains a list of used ones and they will send it to you if you contact them. I was going to get a used one also, until I learned how much better new ones are, plus you could have problems with an older model and there are not many people around that can work on these things. With a new one you get a one year warrantee.

Maybe you're local Kiwanas club or Rotary club would be willing to help you out with a fundraiser? it is a worthy cause, thats for sure. The thought of all the people sitting around withering away because they do not take the initiative and do what they need to do for themselves is kind of unsettling to me. Curtis

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

FES

Curtis - Three months is a long time. I had the movers from hell put my bike in storage and even worse ones move it from storage to my new apt. I never even removed the computer as I was so pressed for time. It still works fine. Thank, God.

Joy - FES is functional electrical stimulation. If you were athletic pre-injury you would really appreciate pedaling even a stationary bike for exercise. It can be tough and quite a burden to keep it up long-term. OTOH, there's no alternative to true cardio-vascular exercise. Just watching your legs pedal as you feel your heart work is so awesome. One postulated antidote for mental illness is physical exercise. I'm a believer. Even if you spend thirty minutes hooking yourself up for thirty minutes of exercise it's an hour very well-spent.

glomae - hound every internet resource you can find. Lots of people buy bikes but few stick with it. Even Marc Buoniconti quit pedaling. Advertise your need and someone will finally decide to part with the bike they don't use anymore. Here's a few links:

http://www.pemed.com/
    http://www.medsell.com/

I paid half-price of a new one for a used bike. Worth every penny. They are rare and maintain their value. Keep trying.

Great advice, Curtis

I just think it is very hard for anyone vent-dependent to use the bike. CR began with the bike when he was able to get away from the vent for a couple hours. I'm not sure if they'll sell one to quads who use vents full time. For anyone else - do what you can do to find a way. FES - there is no substitute.

If you feel bad because it looks impossible, know this: I and others went twenty years before pedaling. Keep an eye open and the idea in the back of your mind. It just might present itself.