• 5 to 10 years

4 19.05%
  • 10 to 15 years

3 14.29%
  • 15 years or longer

13 61.90%

Thread: How long until you die?

How long until you die?

since we are back talking about cure again, how many people believe they will live long enough to receive the cure. Since spinal chord injuries tend to shorten the average life span, how much longer do you think you will live from today( how long until you die)?

CarlR

SCI Lifespan is increasing all the time. In fact I think, on an average, we're pretty close to near normal life spans.

Chris

So many of us die in the first 24 hours after injury and also in the first 12 months, that the average is still a lot lower. I think the average for those who survive their first five years after injury is now approaching normal. KLD often posts the eye-opening statistics.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I was curious to find out how many felt there was " a sense of urgency ". Nothing like death to create that sense. Maybe as most of us start to live longer and cost more money, people will start paying more attention because nobody likes to see health care costs go up.

I personally have a lot of respiratory problems which create that sense of urgency for myself. But I have to give some credit, the medical community has kept me alive this long. . . Maybe it's not too much to ask for 20 years or so.

nobody likes to see health care costs go up

Well, the health insurers don't and certainly patients don't, but medical companies don't mind. Their profits always remain intact or go up.

I think your point should be the most true for the largest health insurance provider: our government. Cures will save them a fortune. Why they're not pursuing it more vigorously should be determined and corrected.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

There is a majorr difference between how long we can live and how long we will live.