Thread: ''PCA HELP''

''PCA HELP''

THROUGHOUT MY 20 YRS OF SCI, I'VE ALWAYS BEEN FORTUNATE TO HAVE GOOD HELP[PCA/AIDE DUTIES]. I'VE ALWAYS HAD EITHER FAMILY/FRIENDS, AN AIDE FROM AN AGENCY, OR A COMBINATION OF BOTH TO GET MY MORNING STARTED. AS FAMILY/FRIENDS BECAME BUSIER[ALSO, I WANTED OUTSIDE HELP], I RELIED MORE ON AGENCY HELP THE PAST 8 YRS. I HAD 3 AIDES IN 6 OF THE YRS, WITH FAMILY FILLING THE GAPS.
    POINT; ''AS A QUAD, IT IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND ANY 'DECENT/RELIABLE' HELP IN NEW JERSEY. THE STATE RUN CNA/HHA PROFESSION IS 'LESS' THAN POOR QUALITY.'' I'VE BEEN ON WAITING LISTS AND CALLING AGENCIES FOR THE PAST 8 MOS,,,,''STILL WAITING.'' THERE'S A ''HUGE'' SHORTAGE OF CNA'S IN NJ.
    AS A RESULT AND COMPROMISE, THE JOB/CASE DESCRIPTION IS; FROM APP. 8-11;00 AM//ASSIST IN 2 PERSON TRANSFER TO/FROM SHOWER CHAIR//DRESSING//V. LT. ROOM CLEANING. ''I DON'T THINK I'M ASKING FOR MUCH.''

***** CAN ANYONE GIVE ANY ADVISE ON HOW TO GO ABOUT FINDING HELP AT A COLLEGE[NURSE'G/PT-OT STUDENTS], OR A HOSPITAL ??? I WAS THINKING ABOUT LOOKING FOR HELP AT NURSING HOMES/ASSISTED LIVING CENTER, BUT DON'T THINK THE MANAGEMENT WOULD BE TO WELCOMING.
    ANY HELP. THANX.

re PCA help

Hi, Freej,

Do you have the means to pay an aide? Or do you have Medicaid or private insurance?

I think I posted somewhere else, what we did; called colleges with PT/OT programs- Rutgers/UMDNJ, etc. and talked with professors, who gave us recommendations in their student population. Also at colleges with nursing programs. These are highly motivated young folk, and it's an incredible learning experience for them; a lot of them have part-time jobs anyway, so why not work as an aide? We found they accepted a little lower pay scale than a fully trained competent aide. We had to do a lot of training for our specific needs. We also did post ads on bulletin boards at hospitals, Kessler rehab, and at Matheny School, a live-in school for children with disabilities; got lots of responses, but no one fit our time schedule. I think a lot of aides 'moonlight' with second jobs.

Where in NJ do you Live? We live in Bridgewater.