Thread: Jerry Falwell Does NOT Speak for All Christians

Jerry Falwell Does NOT Speak for All Christians

OK, I heard a rumor that Reverend Jerry Falwell said that the September 11 attack was God's punishment on the U.S. for it's liberal ways. As a Christian, this disgusted me. I wondered if the person making the statement on TV was exaggerating, but I wouldn't have been surprised if Falwell had made a statement like that. So, I decided to do a quick online search and found an article at washingtonpost.com that starts...

God Gave U.S. 'What We Deserve,' Falwell Says
    By John F. Harris
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, September 14, 2001; Page C03

Television evangelists Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, two of the most prominent voices of the religious right, said liberal civil liberties groups, feminists, homosexuals and abortion rights supporters bear partial responsibility for Tuesday's terrorist attacks because their actions have turned God's anger against America.

"God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve," said Falwell, appearing yesterday on the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club," hosted by Robertson.

"Jerry, that's my feeling," Robertson responded. "I think we've just seen the antechamber to terror. We haven't even begun to see what they can do to the major population."

Read the entire article:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2001Sep14.html
    I just want to say that my God is not the kind of god that uses evil men to punish people, killing thousands of innocent people in the process. As a Christian, I believe guys like Jerry Falwell & Pat Robertson totally miss the point of Christ's teachings. If Christ were walking around today, I'd bet he would hang out with the riff-raff these guys are always spewing about. I have a hard time believing Jesus would want to be associated with pompous elitists like Falwell & Robertson, or even Jesse Jackson on the liberal side of that coin. To those who'd ask, "What kind of God allows this kind of terrorism and murder happen?" I'd have to say, while I don't know exactly why He allows bad things to happen to good people, I say that we as a whole society are to blame at the end of the day. He gave us free will, and with that free will comes the responsibility to look out for our fellow human beings. Unfortunately, it seems the U.S. hasn't been watching out for others as much as necessary. Like the old adage says, all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men (and women) to do nothing. It's time now for good people everywhere to do something to stand up against terrorism. It is not time for hypocrites like Falwell & Robertson to use the deaths of thousands to further their own agendas.

~Rus

"Because you're not promised tomorrow." ~ Stuck Mojo

[This message was edited by Scorpion on September 23, 2001 at 10:29 PM.]

Hmmmm-Might we compare Mr. Falwell and Mr. Robertson's radical ideologies and misrepresentation of Christianity, to bin Laden's radical ideology of the Islaam faith? I bet they'd LOVe to be compared to him! lol

Jerry Falwell

A full page ad was taken out in a New York paper featuring a photo of Falwell and Robertson, with the phrase "The American Taliban." We don't need to look very far to find hatred and intolerance in the name of religion, do we?

Jerry Falwell Does NOT Speak for All Christians

Falwell made the comments on the Heraldo Rivera show on MSNBC. Falwell (not Robertson) did appear about a week later and apologized for his comments on the show.

I don't think Falwell or Robertson would resort to violence to get their points across, but it's not a very big jump from these guys to people who bomb abortion clinics and kill homosexuals or even lynch black men 'in the name of God.'

Falwell's apology seems pretty hollow to me. It doesn't change the fact that this man and his ilk put themselves on a moral pedestal, believing they are the only ones with the correct way of life. Bin Laden and his ilk feel the same way. The main difference, in my humble opinion, is that Falwell doesn't go around killing people who live 'evil' lives. He just belittles them, condemns them, claiming to 'hate the sin, not the sinner', refuses to open his mind to any views but his own. He does this every chance he gets using the 'pulpit' of the media to do so.

I'm not politically correct by any means, and I believe we all need convictions and we don't need to agree with everyone else's chosen path. But I think I can spot hate-mongers, even when they disguise themselves as men of God. Falwell is a hate-monger whether he believes it or not.

Christ taught tolerance and the idea that we should have an open heart whenever possible. He spoke of the Grace of God, His most important message, in my humble opinion. Falwell is one of the least graceful 'evangelists' I can think of. He could stand to learn a few things from the humility of Billy Graham.

~Rus

"Because you're not promised tomorrow." ~ Stuck Mojo