Thread: A Mutual Fund for Spinal Cord Injury Cure?

A Mutual Fund for Spinal Cord Injury Cure?

The recent tragedies in New York City and Washington DC have completely diverted me in a way that I could not have imagined possible. For a week after the catastrophe, I have not been able to concentrate on laboratory-related activities until I got back. Now that I am back, however, a flood of new ideas has occurred.

One of them is to establish a mutual fund for spinal cord injury cure, to invest in profit and non-profit companies that contribute to accelerating the cure for spinal cord injury. Given that there are close to 500,000 families in the United States alone who are affected by spinal cord injury, the investment possibilities are quite significant. Such a mutual fund, however, must have impeccable credentials and disciplined investment practices.

Such a mutual fund would provide several major advantages to our field. First, it can reward those companies who choose to do spinal cord injury research. Second, it will be able to carry out professional analyses of the field in a way that scientists and individuals cannot easily do. Third, it should provide an disciplined outlet for those who want to invest in spinal cord injury research.

Wise.

Sounds Like a great idea

That combined with my idea of the Ride across America could raise millions of dollars. Perhaps people could invest in the fund as their way of contributing towards the advancement of research instead of just making cash donations to the ride across America project. That way as we closed in towards a Cure, the stock values would go up, so it would be a winning situation for both Spinal Cord Injured people and the people who invested in these funds.

I firmly believe that if a group a Spinal Cord Injured people were to ride across the Country
    using only their legs it would generate a huge amount of interest and awareness of the need for more research. It would make people realize that if only we had that connection back again, we would walk again, rather than than having the image in their minds that we are simply Paralyzed for life and there is nothing that can help us.

I am going to continue my research on designing and building a Mobile FES bike, I just know that it would be possible. My legs on my stationary bike are putting out quite a bit of torque, I feel that I would be ok in doing good sized hills if it were geared down enough. The main reason this has never done commercially before is due to liability and also fda regs. If it were done through a University these concerns could be avoided.
    Curtis

I'll buy shares

Not only for myself - I'd also give them as holiday gifts. There are probably a lot of people who care about spinal cord injury but that simply do not contribute largely to charities. A mutual fund like this will have much broader appeal than the outlets for making charitable contributions that exist now.

Go for it, Dr. Young. You have a web community full of customers, supporters, and sales consultants.

SCI Mutual Funds...Hmmmm

The idea is only sound if you can get enough people to invest. Price for start-up will be a major consideration. There are a lot of government subsidies programs out there, perhaps we could use one of them to get things off the ground.

NOW would be the time to get something like this started while the stocks are down. I know I would invest in it.

"And so it begins."

I think it sounds like a great idea..although it probably wouldnt be accesible to me living in Australia. Just to clarify something though ...you say to invest in profit and non profit companies, is it possible to invest in a non profit company, if its non profit then wouldnt this mean its a donation?

Found additional information

This would be more of an Investment Club than a mutual fund, Dr. Wise. It is still a sound idea.

"And so it begins."