Thread: Dangerous new worm circulating on internet

Dangerous new worm circulating on internet

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/interne...ack/index.html
    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scite...orm010918.html

Nimda is its name. Unlike Code Red, this worm can also be spread by infected web sites. It can attack any computer or server running Windows. It affects the Microsoft Internet Information Server Software which manages web sites.

Wise.

Nimda has company

Nimda is not the only nasty threat at the moment, unfortunately. Just yesterday I found three email attachments infected with a variation on the Magistr virus when I arrived at work. Thankfully, Norton took care of them safely.

Magistr is an especially nasty bug. It's unusually large for a virus, and when it infects it will attempt to do a variety of things, such as erase your hard drive or wipe out your BIOS. It may make your computer unbootable and unusable. You can read a little more about it at: http://www.viruslist.com/eng/default...id=1198&page=0

David Berg

Virus

I work for the Gov't and our whole site complex in Ohio except for our contractor was hit with the nimda virus. Dept of Energy Headquarters in D.C. got hit bad. Rumors are its terrorist related but thats speculation. The FBI is investigating.

I do know other large Corp. were hit too.

Originally posted by Lizbv:

I work for the Gov't and our whole site complex except for our contractor was hit with the virus. Rumors are its terrorist related but thats speculation. The FBI is investigating.

I do know other large Corp. were hit too.

My guess is it's some punk kid with too much time on his hands, pissed off at the world, getting his rocks off screwing with people's computers. I think most of these viruses can be traced to anti-social hackers...most of them living in their parents' basement. But seriously, I doubt it's terrorist related, but it wouldn't be a huge stretch if that were the case.

~Rus

"Because you're not promised tomorrow." ~ Stuck Mojo

Yesterday i received an email saying that I'd received a greeting card, and to go to such and such addy to pick it up.....so I did. Then it said that I had to download something to view it as it was an interactive card, so I did..big mistake!!! My computer all locked up with some message and I just assumed my ancient crappy computer was playing up again. So I sent it to a friend to see if he could tell me who the card was from, ughhhhh! Lucklily his virus detector picked it up and Ive since deleted it right out.

But now, when I log on and enter in my Windows password, it seems to bypass everything and go straight to the error message, and I have no choice but to close it down. I can cancel out the Windows password and it seems to work ok, but its strange as it seems to be my computer the way it was like about 2 years ago, with all my old favourites..etc.

I think its almost time to upgrade

Originally posted by Scorpion:

My guess is it's some punk kid with too much time on his hands, pissed off at the world, getting his rocks off screwing with people's computers. I think most of these viruses can be traced to anti-social hackers...most of them living in their parents' basement.
    LOL. maybe not a kid tho

Annabanna,

It is time to clean up your disk with a good virus program or, more advisable, reinstall a new system. These worms and viruses often lie in wait and allow further incursions into your computer.

I am so very glad that I use Mac computers because most hackers and virus/worm creators are Windows-oriented.

Wise.

LOL. maybe not a kid tho
    Sad, but true.

~Rus

"Because you're not promised tomorrow." ~ Stuck Mojo