Thread: Manual wheelchairs for quads

Manual wheelchairs for quads

How many quadriplegic on this forum use manual wheelchairs? How long have you been hurt? How long did it take for you to get into a manual wheelchair from a power wheelchair? What level injury are you? Without any finger dexterity, how do you stop or turn? How independent are you?

I ask these questions because I am 14 months post at a C-5-6 level and I have now been my manual wheelchair for 5 months. I have had a few medical complications since I have been in a manual chair and I think if it wasn't for those my speed and agility would be much better. I still can't make it up ramps. my tenodesis on the right hand is poor and barely existant on my left hand so I can only stop and turn with my wrists. I'm hoping to see some people here who start off where I am now and have become fully independent. I talked to several quad rugby players who have a little more function than I do and are fully independent and it makes me think that I can be. But the more I hear that, the better I feel.

also, I know I asked about tendon transfer before but a lot of people have joined since I asked so I'll ask again. Has anyone here had a type of tendon transfer at all and if you have, where on your body did you have it and how much extra function did it bring you? I have gotten some opinions on what people think about it, but all I really want to do is talk to someone who had it done.

E-support

I am 17 years post, C4 (C5/6 functionality) and have used only manual wheelchairs until january this year when I purchased a chair with "Servo Accessory Drive".

It's great! It combines the best of two worlds - small and lightweight like a manual chair but still giving you the power of a paralympic para ...and it saves wrists and shoulders.

rybread,

I'm one year into my injury C-5(functioning C6/7). When I was in rehab I started with a manual WC although I could barely propel it, that was on smooth level floors. I mostly use my powerchair, but when I go places, since I don't have a van yet, I use my manual, it's an ultra-light which makes a big difference as opposed to clunky hospital folding type, which are way to heavy. For serious wheeling, I use quad gloves, they have a friction material on the palms, making it easier to propel and stop. For ramps I have 'hill-holders' on my chair, they keep the chair from traveling backwards on ramps.

Good luck

im c5/6 complete, 10 yrs post and always have used a manual chair. actually have never even sat in a powerchair. at the start i could hardly push myself but with time things became alot easier and you soon learn your limits.