Thread: Living arrangements

Living arrangements

Hi, my name is Cynthia. I am a c2c3 quadriplegic, and I live in Ohio. Since my discharge from rehabilitation in 1992, I have been in a nursing home. I have tried a number of times to gain my independence by leaving the nursing home, but have had no success. Most everybody I talk to, whether it be social workers, friends, or family, think it will be virtually impossible due to the fact that I'm on a ventilator; therefore, need somebody around 24/7. I know that there are people on ventilators, who require 24 hrs, who live at home, so I don't think it's impossible. I just can't get through the cracks of the system, it seems. Medicaid may cover eight to ten hours, I'm not sure. For some reason, they won't tell me the exact amount. I'm attending the community college p/t, and have goals, but being in here, puts them on hold. Any suggestions anybody can offer will be appreciated. Thanks

Cynthia

Cynthia, where are you in Ohio? My cousin told me of a 'Transitional Living Center' in Ohio near Columbus, I believe. they may be able to help you. I'll see if I can find info on it.

~Rus

Cynthia,

I'm afraid I can't provide much assistance with the living arrangement issue. My injury is a tad lower, and your issues are very different from my own. However, I would highly recommend a distance-learning or online degree program. Go at your own pace, from the comfort of your own home. It speeds up earning a degree, and tons of colleges have such programs nowadays. Also saves the hassle of having to worry about getting to and from class. Take care.

Hi. Your idea about online courses is a good idea. Actually, I have a van and vocational rehabilitation pays for an attendant to take me to class and attend it. The time away from the nursing home to go to class is "therapuetic" for me, sometimes.
    The problem I have encountered, is that studying is so difficult because of all the distracting noises in the halls with staff, residents, med carts, bla bla bla. I need a noise free atmosphere to concentrate.
    I have thought about attending Wright State University, which is renowned for it's accessibility to the disabled, but living on campus is not my first option.
    I live approximately one hour from Columbus. What is transitional living? I have not heard of it. Thanks for your replies, they are greatly appreciated.

Cynthia

Cynthia,

Good point about distractions and the therapeutic value of going to an actual classroom. I hadn't considered that. We have several "assisted living" places here in the DC area. I think it's like having your own small apartment, except medical-type assistance is always there. It's more "independent" than a nursing home, yet not as scary as moving out on your own. I don't know much about them in terms of cost or the type of assistance they provide, but they seem more private than a nursing home environment.

Cynthia,
    I am also a c2-c3 quadriplegic and vent dependant. I require 24 hour care and I am fortunate enough to be blessed with a caring family. I have had contracted nursing since my '97 illness and paralysis due to spinal meningitis. Despite having medicaid and private insurance coverage I haven't had consistent/reliable nursing from an agency for 6 months yet. So there are no real guuarantees for nursing care or medical coverage. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!

Trm98

Transitional Living Centers

They are places where ppl w/disabilities can learn to live on their own, outside medical facilities or nursing homes. You don't have to have the ability to physocally take care of yourself, because they help you learn how to manage your activities of daily living, be it independently or with the help of aides. Money fro rent/aides, etc is a problem, I'm sure, but they might be able to give you ideas for that too. I haven't gotten in touch with my cousin yet, but i will.

RE: Wright State -- I hear it's VERY accessible down to underground walkways so you can go to classes warm & dry (or cool in summer)

~Rus