Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Muscle Builders

  1. #1

    Muscle Builders

    I was just curious about the effects of muscle builders on spinal cord injured. I am a C6 incomplete and have started lifting weights. I want to get very big and was wondering a few things:
    a) how have certain weight gainers/supplementers(creatine, glutamine, etc) worked?
    b) do steriods hurt anything other then what we already know about them? (i'm just wondering!)
    c) any hints on weight/muscle gain besides eating and lifting?
    any help would be great!
    -Torsten

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear1019 View Post
    I was just curious about the effects of muscle builders on spinal cord injured. I am a C6 incomplete and have started lifting weights. I want to get very big and was wondering a few things:
    a) how have certain weight gainers/supplementers(creatine, glutamine, etc) worked?
    b) do steriods hurt anything other then what we already know about them? (i'm just wondering!)
    c) any hints on weight/muscle gain besides eating and lifting?
    any help would be great!
    -Torsten
    As a c-6, how much motor function do you have?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear1019 View Post
    I was just curious about the effects of muscle builders on spinal cord injured. I am a C6 incomplete and have started lifting weights. I want to get very big and was wondering a few things:
    a) how have certain weight gainers/supplementers(creatine, glutamine, etc) worked?
    b) do steriods hurt anything other then what we already know about them? (i'm just wondering!)
    c) any hints on weight/muscle gain besides eating and lifting?
    any help would be great!
    -Torsten
    You have to be very careful because so many supplements are hard on your kidneys and every other organ. You will find some good supplements but if you don't eat right and workout on regular basis and have a good routine there is no supplement that will help. Not even roids. If I was you I would start out with clean eating cardio and weight training and not be concerned about supplements yet if you are just starting out. Make sure you get enough protein carbs and a good source of fat and plenty of water and rest.
    Yes there will be someone that says different and that you should start taking this and that but you are going to here a lot of different theories on it.
    So that is my two cents worth on it..PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM STEROIDS!! For what you get out of them you have allot bigger of a risk for a bad outcome and for what??

  4. #4
    Senior Member tooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,524
    As someone who started weight-training about six months post-injury I can tell you it's not much different than as an able-bodied person. Now, going on 4 years post as a 36-year-old C7 complete manual chair user with good hands, I am addicted to physical fitness - weight-training in particular. The difference now as a cripple is when I'm sore as hell (like right now) from working out it really affects everything I do - ie. bathing, getting around, transfers in general. ugh.

    Like crash said, there are a lot of different viewpoints on the use of supplements. I would research on various body-building websites and decide for yourself. Also, his thoughts on diet are spot-on from where I sit. Eat lots of fresh vegetables, drink your protein (I use vegan, not whey), and get lots of sleep.

  5. #5
    This original post is 12 years old, and the OP has not been back to our site since August 2012. Did anyone pay attention to that??

    (KLD)

  6. #6
    Senior Member tooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,524
    lol, no.

    Usually I do check the post date, but in this case with 2 recent replies I didn't bother.

    Thanks Rainman. probably gets his underwear at Kmart.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    lol, no.

    Usually I do check the post date, but in this case with 2 recent replies I didn't bother.

    Thanks Rainman. probably gets his underwear at Kmart.
    In your defense you did say:
    Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    The difference now as a cripple is when I'm sore as hell (like right now) from working out it really affects everything I do - ie. bathing, getting around, transfers in general. ugh.

  8. #8
    Senior Member tooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,524
    the maple syrup is supposed to be on the table before the pancakes.

  9. #9
    LOL, this thread is old enough to be my father.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This original post is 12 years old, and the OP has not been back to our site since August 2012. Did anyone pay attention to that??

    (KLD)
    That is funny. I didn't go searching for old postings. It was listed like a new posting. No clue on how that happen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •