Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to be happy again after spinal cord injury?

Actually, when I mentioned doubts on sexual life I wanted to know what can we get of it after SCI and if it can still be good instead of just having fun. But I understood Ron's considerations, too.
    Did those who are married have children after SCI?
    I'm not married and haven't yet thought of having children before SCI but I may consider it carefully now because maybe it gives life a new sense, am I right?

I shouldn't...but I will...

OUCH RON! That hurt! You sure know how to hit below the belt!! It's a good thing I can't feel down there. I'll have to pay extra $$ for Kao to repair my pride now that you chewed it up and spit it out! I had no idea that you were so opposed to nerve regeneration/transplant...sorry to get you all riled up! I should be at your oceanside vacation home around the first of ...NEVER!

Fernando

In my own experience, 4 months post injury I got enrolled in school to learn some skills which would enable me to work from a wheelchair, but I still do many of the things I used to do for work also. I drive a lowered chevy x-cab with hand controls, nothing else is modified. I had a 4x4 but it was lifted and it killed my shoulders to get in and out too many times. All of the people I knew in chairs at the time told me to stay at home and relax, but that was unacceptable. I spent 14 hours a day in my wheelchair in school(I already have a Bachelors degree.)studying the computer and learning digital animation. Soon after completing school I began working as a teacher at the school I just finished training in. I also workout twice a day. Swim and handcycle in the mornings and weights in the evenings. I found that I got alot more bowel and bladder return after I got into working out. The strength you get from strengthening your abs will greatly aid in your bowell program(intestine) as well as bladder control. You really just have to ask yourself what you want out of life and go for it. Just like you always did(before your accident). Like you, I am single and I question having kids post injury because I always pictured myself teaching my kids how to surf and snowboard, wakeboard, etc. so personally I think I'll wait on the kids until I walk again. You can do whatever motivates you with hard work. As far as hobby's go to each his own. I'm sure it is difficult for some people to express themselves when injured at a young age because they never received a chance to discover themselves fully, so Birde don't take any comments made personally. I thank god my injury occured after a lifetime of accomplishments and not during my formative years

Having children

Fernando, here is a good site where you can get more information about having children after an SCI:

http://www.scifertility.com

You can also get more sexuality information here:

http://sourcehealth.com
    http://sexualhealth.com

(KLD)

a lifetime of accomplishments?

gpbullock First of all your little story was mighty inspiring. I was moved by the fact that you went to school a mere 4 months after your injury, especially since I started back to school 4 months after a c6-7 injury. I was just wondering what these accomplishments you speak so highly of were? Is being a 32 year old without a wife one of those amazing accomplishments you spoke about? That's one to be proud of. Of course I'm sure you're just "weighing your options" which is codetalk for trying to decide whether you're gonna use your right or left hand tonight. Is being a cripple who works with computers one your accomplishments? You don't see that everyday. Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know what a special little gimp you are, and that I can only dream about someday being a 32 year old who lives by himself and has a crappy job.
    BTW What in the hell is this "trouble expressing themselves" crap. I thought I made myself pretty clear. And much like you, I also thank god. But I'm just thankful I didn't break my neck after pissing away 32 years without doing anything notable,only to come to the realization that I was just an insignifigant little mole on the nut sac of life.

Ronnie,Ronnie,Ronnie

Just a little news flash for ya,collecting the money from your moms one women donkey show is a crappy job and marrying your sister was wrong,Did you weigh your options there!Must of been hard chosen for ya with all those aunts,cousins and uncles around.Anyway,congrats on that school thing,im sure your the only one who went back to school so soon.You didnt seem to learn anything but hey it's a good story,now roll outside and give that kid with the banjo a slap in the head for me.I filled this little punctuation errors Ronnie could you correct them for me.THANKS.
    ......\/PEACE
    ~Shaun

you crazy canadian

After consulting my retarded jerkoff to English translation dictionary, I think I kinda figured out what in the hell you were trying to say. First of all, I would like to commend you for coming up with that whole "Arkansans are inbreds hehehe" thing. I'm pretty sure you're the first person on earth to make that hilarious observation (I know you're slow, so I'll go ahead and let you know that my last statement was sarcastic). Also, I wasn't bragging about going to school, I was just letting your little "companion" know that he wasn't king gimp just because he rolled his ass to college. Last of all, I would like to point out how cool that whole peace thing you sign your posts with is. (Once again, my slow friend, that was sarcasm)

[This message was edited by Ron on August 22, 2001 at 04:03 PM.]

Happiness after SCI

Hey Ron, Keep it up and pray for a cure...you'll be a great "Stand Up Comic" no kiddin!!

When you start doing more than sitting in your power chair, having someone stick their finger in your ass and changing your piss bag, you let me know.

good job gpbullock

At my level of injury, not one thing you just said applies to me. However, I'm pretty sure you've managed to offend damn near every person that visits this site who has a higher level of injury than I do. You really are a dumb bastard, aren't you? And btw, If that was the best comeback you have for me, I'd suggest you spend the time you would normally spend writing lame little comments that don't even apply to me doing something more constructive. Like trying to hook up with shaun. Can't you see how perfect you two pecker checkers are for each other? You both have the iq of a seven year old and from the way he came to your rescue after I put you in your place, it seems he wants your sausage in a bad way. Good luck, you two little lovebirds.