Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to be happy again after spinal cord injury?

Fernando, the first year was hard for me. I was in the hospital then rehab for almost 6 months, and going home was another huge adjustment. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does get better.

~Rus

Life is good

Fernando - I'm a C6 and function like a C7. I love snorkelling. I took my wife a couple weeks ago and she had an absolute blast. It was like enjoying the thrill of swimming with the fishes all over again as it was brand new for my wife. I wear special swimming gloves that give me a webbed swath through the water. It's an extremely low cost activity that is a lot of fun.

At T3 your options are even greater. Almost wide open. High level quads have the fewest choices. Look at CR, I guess, to see what is possible for those with the resources to make it happen.

Gosh, I wish I were a T3 para lol. Yes, you can be completely independent. Low paras can dress, shower, drive, manage their bowel and bladder care, transfer in and out of bed....all without anyones help. I can do all the above (except for 1) independently and I'm a C7/8 quad which means my paralysis is about 7 degrees worse than yours.

Can you be happy? Yes! You may hate being in a wc but you there are things in life that you can derive happiness from. You can derive happiness from being married or with an s.o., from hobbies or interests like clubbing/partying, playing sports, spending time with friends and family, being independent, all kinds of things. I, like Jeff, hated the social isolation sci brought but my quality of life improved significantly after I met my husband. I'm not happy being sci'ed but I am happy with the other aspects of my life that don't directly involve my disability.

ANOTHER VOTE OF CONFIDENCE.

FERNANDO,,, GIVE YOURSELF SOME TIME TO GET MENTALLY/PHYSICALLY IN ORDER. AS MANY HAVE TOLD YOU, IT TAKES TIME. HEED THE PERSPECTIVES OF SCORP, RYE,KATHY, BECK, SHAWN, OTHERS ALIKE.

ALSO; I'M NOT SAYING ANY SCI SITUATION IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER. BUT UNDERSTAND SENECA'S WORDS, ''I WISH I WERE A T-3.'' TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF PHYSICALLY, WORK AT IT AND AS A T-3 YOU'LL BE OK. THINK POSITIVE.

SENECA, AS A C-4, I CAN RELATE TO YOR WORDS WELL.

I definately understand what you are Saying Seneca and Freej

Still having full use of you're arms and you're hands Fernando is big, and it means you can do almost anything you set you're mind to, it is definately a major adjustment, no doubt. But you can go on to live a very full life, Just as Quads can if they set their minds to it, we all just have different ways of getting things done and living our lives, its mainly having the right attitude is what counts.

Hookers

First of all Fernando Do ya'll have Donkey Shows in Brazil? You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a good ol' fashion display of bestiality here in the U.S. If ya'll have donkey shows I may have to load up the truck and move to Brazil.

My suggestion to you is to find yourself about seven hookers and just start bangin' away. That should clear your head and get you started on the road to rehabilitation.

What is the problem

Ron, when Fernando asked about "sexual life" I don't think he was thinking along the lines that you describe! What is that about? Is that what Arkansas men really think about? PAHLEASE!!!! Get in touch with reality once!

Nomination

I nominate Ron for our Arkie Ugly American Award for his crude and ignorant welcome to our Brazilian friend!

What are you two overweight shut-ins complaining about? Our foreign friend wanted to be assured that you can still have good wholesome fun after an sci and the best stuff this bunch of short bus riders could come up with was handcycling, gimp basketball, snorkeling, and eating fry bread, whatever the heck that is. If someone told me that all I could look forward to was that faggoty crap after breaking my neck, I would probably stay doped up on prozac like birde's ignorant ass does. So I just tried to bring something to the table that didn't seem to scream "homo". Like a wise man once said "If bangin' seven Brazillian hookers is wrong, I don't wanna be right."

And birde, best of luck with that whole snake oil.....I mean surgery that's gonna get you up and running around in no time thing. Once you're all better maybe you can stay at my ocean side vacation home here in Arkansas.

Fight Always :)

Fernando,

I have been dis for 40+ years and have been so lucky to have done many things as if I were able bodied. I was married, had children, raised them practically by myself, worked outside of my home, bought my home with my earnings and numerous other things. Don't think I am trying to brag, I just want you to see how much can be done even with an SCI.

One thing I have learned through time is that you are as limited as much as you permit yourself to be limited. Life has always had its ups and downs even when AB. The thing is to live one day at a time when you feel depressed. I won't lie to you that you will be always happy because no one is totally free of some unhappy days or moments. Just do the best you can in this situation and don't let it drag you down for the rest of your life.

Whenever the wind seems to be blowing you back, just turn your back on it and keep on fighting the battle.

Life is what we also make of it, I believe, so believe in yourself and keep on enjoying life as much as possible.

Enough of me... Will keep you in my thoughts and may God bless and strengthen you always.

Raven