Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Employment

What a great discussion you have started, Megan. Let me try to describe what we have and where I think we can go and perhaps we can start from there.

Bulletin Board. This bulletin board site is hosted by infopop who makes a great bulletin software called the Ultimate Bulletin Board. I was enquiring about setting up UBB to replace the Cando forums when I found out that they provide a service called OpenTopics which is based on an Oracle database serving XML onto XSL stylesheet pages. They charge $1000 per month for 500,000 page views, $2000 for a million page views per month. They host and take care of the site. We are currently averaging about 5000 page views per day. I called them and this bulletin board was set up in 30 minutes. I am impressed by their cheerful efficiency and reasonable pricing. The appearance of this web site can be infinitely changed using XSL stylesheets. Infopop does everything including daily backups, statistics, and email digest service.

The current CareCure server. I have been using an old Mac G3 server running Appleshare 6.1 that I have been using as the laboratory community web site for Quest and other community purposes. The CareCure site http://carecure.rutgers.edu is connected at 100 Mbit/sec to Internet. It is "free" in the sense that Rutgers University is supporting the community. We are currently getting 2000-4000 connections per day on that server and it can handle up to 50,000 connections per day. I used Adobe GoLive to set up flat html pages. It is a laborious but straightforward.

Planned SCIWire. We will be directing traffic from SCIWire.net and SCIWire.org to http://carecure.atinfopop.com and http://carecure.rutgers.edu respectively. My plan is to tranfer carecure.rutgers.edu to an Apple G4 dual processor 700 MHz equipped with an unlimited OSX license, Apache, WebObjects, and an Oracle database (Rutgers has an unlimited license of Oracle). WebObjects is now certified platinum (the highest compatability) with Oracle. It has many tools that are designed to move data from Oracle directly to and from a web site. It can handle over a million connections per day.

Community Pages. I am planning to put the entire SCIWire.org site on an Oracle database. The contents will be XML delivered to XSL stylesheets. We will be working closely with Sam Maddox to solicit, edit, and publish articles by the community for the community.
    We are planning to offer individuals free web pages in which they choose any of several dozen styles, place text or images in different parts of stylesheets. They can change the styles (or contribute their own stylesheets) whenever they want by using their registration password.

Scientific Community. We are setting up a consortium of laboratories studying spinal cord injury therapies. Called SCICure Consortium, this consortium of perhaps 100 laboratories will share their data on database-driven web site that would contain all the data generated with our IMPACTOR rat spinal cord injury model (over 100 laboratories currently use the model and we trained 50 of them in the past year alone). This database will be linked with another one called NGEL which will contain the gene expression data from gene chips that we will provide the laboratories at cost. Together, this will represent the first comprehensive laboratory spinal cord injury database that scientists can mine to compare their work with others. I am planning to set up bulletin boards for the scientists to discuss their findings with each other, using Infopop.

Clinical Community. At the same time, we are planning to set up a database for clinicians who take care of spinal cord injury. This will be a place where they can come to find out all the latest information on treatment of spinal cord injury, discuss clinical trial data, as well as care issues. I have been experimenting with the Trial Forum (here) as a format. Of course, the goal is to get all three communities, the people, the scientists, and the clinicians to talk to each other.

I would love to be able to get this community to participate in the creation of this enterprise, get grants to pay people for designing stylesheets, contribute content, and help organize the site. Finally, we are planning to hold one annual meeting per year where everybody who participates in these sites could meet face to face.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on August 08, 2001 at 01:45 AM.]

Employment

Megan,

You've received lots of good advice so far and I'd like to add a little.

Learning to use Access is a good introduction to Databases. As many have stated, Oracle is probably the most robust and widely used by companies, and therefore presents the most employment possibilities. Another widely used database is SQL Server from Microsoft. It's a logical extension of Access, but is designed to run on a Network rather than an individual PC.

An EXCELLENT source of self instruction books can be found at http://www.murach.com The site was down the last time I checked because of the Code Red Worm virus, but it'll be back soon. Checkout the book on Access and one on Visual Basic 6.0

Of course large companies still have a need for older languages such as COBOL. That'll probably give some people a laugh, but there's good money out there for experience or training in the older languages. Someone mentioned CGI scripts and correctly stated that most are written in C or Perl, but I'm writing CGI scripts right now in COBOL. Imagine that?

If you learn anything about database administration and gain a little experience you can almost always find a job if you're also willing to relocate.

Good luck on your training and your job search and please feel free to contact me by the email address in my profile.

Helpful Tools

I use IBM Via Voice software. The biggest help was getting a microphone that did not require someone putting a headset on me all the time. You might try this microphone, it will work if you are within 4 feet. You can find it at

http://www.audiocommander.com/BUY/DA...scription1.htm

You also might look at the 2 handed mouse that is made by uppertone. I am planning on getting one myself soon. They seem to work well from what I have been told. You can find them at www.uppertone.com. They also have an adjustable hieght desk, but it is expensive.

Microsoft Access & Speech Recognition

Office XP has its own speech recognition function. It works in all the Office applications, including Access and Excel. I have used it in Word and Excel.

Wow, I'm overwhelmed!

Thank you to everyone for all the detailed information. It's really given me a lot to think about, and it's much better than anything I was able to obtain through rehab and local colleges.

Dr. Young: I am astounded by everything you are working on. Thank you so much for all the information you have given.

Rybread: I think I'm pretty much at your level. And I do have a trackball that I use more and more. I have the same problem you do regarding the microphone, so I use a Telex USB desktop microphone. With it, I can roll up to my desk and start dictating whenever I want to and it works very well when you're in a quiet environment. Unfortunately, I have 2 children so I spend more time telling Dragon to "Go To Sleep" than I do creating quality dictation. Oh well, Summer's halfway over!

Megan