Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Employment

Jeremy:

I did a psycology course online a few years back but I did not enjoy it or find it useful. I need a structured classroom environment.

-Steven

Dr. Young,

There are various scripts currently out there that help in building web sites -- similar to the systems at GeoCities and Angelfire. However, the available scripts are somewhat limited by the amount of users they can handle simultaneously. Your best bet would probably be to have one made that uses server side Java.

Technically, though, it would not be difficult to make -- unless you would like to provide email for each account. That would be slightly more difficult, but not by much.

Would the servers you currently have be able to handle the traffic?

-Steven

Thanks to all!

You've given me a lot to think about. Database design does seem to be the way to go. I'm looking into building databases using Microsoft Access. The only problem that I see is: how good is Dragon NaturallySpeaking with Microsoft Access? I have Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional Solutions, and I find it works great with Microsoft Word. However, it is terrible with Microsoft Excel.

Scorpion: Are you able to do web design without the use of your hands? I looked into it a little, but graphics are next to impossible with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I can't even move clip art across a page.

Jeremy and Steven: Thanks for the websites. I'll check them out as soon as possible. Do you program using voice activation software? If so, is one programming language easier than another or doesn't it matter?

Megan

Think Outside the Box

Megan,

I don't use voice recognition software simply because it's slower than typing for me, though if I took the time to train the software, it'd probably work great.

As for graphics and not using your hands, it's more about what's in your head and how you go about solving the problem. I got my first PC in 1993 when a cousin's boyfriend built me one from spare parts. At first I used the mouse with both hands, but I quickly realized this method sucked. I turned the mouse to the left so I could push the button with the heel of my palm. I had to retrain my brain so that left was up, up was right, right was down, and down was left. Weird, but it works.

Check my profile for a drawing I did--started in pencil, then I inked it in, scanned it into the computer and colored it in Photoshop.

I type by wedging a Sharpie marker in my right hand and hitting shift with my left thumb. I knew how to type before my accident, so I knew where the keys were. I probably type about 25-30 words a minute now.

I've learned that we gimps need to think outside the box when problem solving. If something doesn't work, figure out what will. One of my best friends is a C-4 quad and is getting his Masters degree in architecture. He does all his designs on the computer using a mouthstick and a track-ball instead of a mouse. He's very good, but it didn't happen over night. As an example of his problem solving skills, once he was home alone and opened a package of peanut butter/cheese crackers and ate them. He used books amd his mouthstick to move the package and tear it open then move crackers to where he could reacvh them with his mouth.

~Rus

[This message was edited by Scorpion on August 07, 2001 at 08:40 PM.]

Programming Languages

Megan,

I have an elevated desk I roll under and use my mouthstick to type with. It's too noisy here at home for any voice recognition software to be effective.

Can you program macros in Naturally Speaking? It would really help a lot if you can. I will give examples of why later on.

Choosing a programming language really depends on what you plan on doing. If you plan on doing database work you should learn ANSI [read: standard] Structured Query Language (SQL). Each type of database will have its own quirks, but ANSI SQL usually works across most databases. Once you learn SQL you will usually have to learn a programming language that will allow you to make a good interface with the database.

If you want to program for the Windows platform you have a few options to choose from... the most popular choices being Visual C++ and Visual Basic. Visual Basic uses actual english to program with -- not many odd symbols or anything. Visual C++, or any C-based language, uses weird commands to work.

Example:

to print out "Hello World!" in a Basic oriented language, the command is:
    print "Hello World!"

in a C oriented language:
    printf("Hello World!\n");

Many people will argue to the death the advantages and disadvantages of each language. Basically, it all boils down to how efficiently you can solve problems.

[takes a breath]

Your options are slightly different if you plan on programming for the web, depending on the operating system of the server you use. There are Windows based servers that will let you use straight HTML, or a combination of HTML and a Visual Basic type language called VBScript in Active Server Pages (ASPs).

Linux based servers let you use CGI scripts to perform actions and be interactive; CGI scripts are written in Perl or C, usually. CGI is... well, it is a good choice for sites that don't get heavy traffic.

You can also use a Mac based web server [OS X like at Rutgers] which have their own types of languages -- which I have very little experience with.

Now we're near the end... Java is a language that works across multiple platforms. Windows? Yes. Linux? Yup. Mac? You bet! Java is slower than other traditional languages, but it works well on the web. The old canDo site used Java on its backend and I would bet InfoPop uses the same.

If you have any questions, let me know. :-p

-Steven

BTW, CGI scripts will work on UNIX and WindowsNT servers, but the coding is different for each, I believe. I taught myself HTML (learned Basic way back in 86, HTML is easier). But I'm more of an artist/designer than programmer. I'd rather not screw with code at all, but I sometimes have to tweak the HTML or JavaScript.

I'm not sure about this version of InfoPop's message board, but the version I installed at www.ShadowReavers.com is a CGI Script. It wasn't too difficult to set up, just time consuming. I enjoy the problem-solving aspect of Web design, especially when 'a plan comes together,' but I'd rather just be an artist.

~Rus

I knew I forgot something. Thanks Scorpion!

Most of the web based languages can be used on any platform with the proper plugins. I am a big fan of JSPs (Java Server Pages) and PHP (http://www.php.net/), but not many web site hosting companies allow JSPs to be used unless you choose a pricey hosting plan.

-Steven

movement

cann you use your arms at all? we share injury level, but i use trackball and type with corner of pinky(no finger movement). i use voice rec for longer docs, but have hard time setting up mic on head. how does all your stuff work?

oracle

Stephen, the C language is complicated as hell, but not quite as complicated as you made out. You don't need the *\n* to do the exact same thing as you do with VB You added the newline character, you probably didn't even realize it.

Megan, learn Oracle. No other database even comes close in reliability and speed. With 9i they take advantage of java and even xml. To be Oracle certified takes 5 exams, and if you visit the Oracle website, they have all kinds of good info about education, and even some sample questions like those on their exams. Good luck

Hosting

Dr. Young,

I like your idea. I believe that if most of the pages that were hosted were to be from people from this community, it would also show how much can be done by any disabled person. Many people here seem to be knowledgeable about this and I am sure it would be really great to have their knowledge taught to the rest of us.

Scorpion, Cill, and all those who have sites, including myself, will most likely feel honored to be hosted here.

Way to go, Dr. Young. Also, I do want to thank you for keeping up this site for us all. There is a saying in spanish, "No hay mal que por bien no venga." Which means that out of bad things that happen good can come out too. (Speaking of CanDo merger) I am sure this site will do better than before.

Raven