Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Employment

Microsoft certifications

I was looking at the various Microsoft certifications available vs the potential job market: a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) is required to take 7 exams while a Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) only has to take 4. There are fewer MCDBAs out there so database jobs have a higher salary. :-)

-Steven

Steven Edwards

Steven have you taken any online courses? If so, how were they?

Jeremy,

Unfortunately I have not taken any computer related courses online so I cannot rate them. I read a lot of books online to prepare myself and use my contacts online so that I can play with new web technologies.

An outstanding resource for me has been http://www.informit.com/free_library/ as they offer the full text of many programming books online for free. Let me know which area of study you are interested in and I can probably give you more specific references.

-Steven

I taught myself web design back in 1995. Voc Rehab paid for my college (most anyway) for a degree in Art Education, and I also got a degree in Fine Arts. I graduated in August 1996, and I could have gotten a job as a teacher right away but decided to try freelance work. In May 1998, I took a job as web designer for Wizard Entertainment in New York and moved up here, leaving my comfort zone in Tampa, Florida.

Our website, which was run by me and my boss, was spun off into it's own company of over 40 employees last year. But due to many reasons, I was no longer happy with my job. I also saw the new company wasn't going to last, but no one wanted to listen to me. On June 8, I resigned to go freelance. I found out that Friday, most of the people at the company were laid off, and the rest will be let go by next month. They shoulda listened to me!

Anyway, freelance is great for a gimp (if you can get enough work), because I can schedule my own hours. But I did the 9-5 thing for over 3 years, so it can be done. I've been busy doing web design and coloring comicbooks recently. A recent web job I did is www.ShadowReavers.com and http://www.actorcomicfund.org/mockup.html is taking shape now. www.RusWooton.com is my portfolio site, but it needs work.

I'm going to Wizard World 2001 next weekend, and I hope to drum up more web design and comicbook coloring work there. It's a huge Comic/Entertainment convention with over 35,000 attendees each year.
    ~Rus

[This message was edited by Scorpion on August 06, 2001 at 07:58 PM.]

[This message was edited by Scorpion on August 07, 2001 at 01:20 AM.]

Accomodation

Rybread, if the only reason you did not go back to the same employer was the temperature of the environment, installation of air conditioning would be a reasonable accomodation that would be appropriate for anyone with a high level SCI (medically necessary), esp. someone who lives in AZ!!! Was this explored?

Scorpion:

Could you email me privately? I am interested in your art work as displayed on the sites you linked up.

rand@mindless.com

-Steven

work

i cant hold my tools well enough, cant feel problems in my seat on test drives, its pretty much an open shop so ac is pretty useless w/ 25 foot cielings, and i dont want to go back unless i'm working on cars. it gets up to 105 degrees in the shop so i cant even advise. pretty tough situation, thats what i grew up doing and i was very good at it.

Megan:

Since you live in California, you may want to contact the Department of Rehabilitation. You would qualify for the PASS Program, which will pay up to $10,000 for you to matriculate back into the work force. The Department of Rehab. will also pay for college courses or a degree that you may need from a university. Feel free to e-mail me and we can discuss the issues regarding computers, Dragon voice recognition, etc. What part of California do you live in?

Paul Nussbaum
    ssuusc@aol.com

Steven - I just was wondering if you had done any courses, I've played around with html and found it interesting looked at c++ and other types of programming and tought it might be worthwhile to take a course. I know a local college here offers some courses but to what extent I don't know. It might help pass the time.

Megan and others

I have been thinking of setting up the Carecure site so that people can put their own web pages up. Many people don't have the familiarity with html or web page design to put up their sites. They will need help to do so.

Perhaps we can help pay more knowledgeable members of the community to help others design web sites that can be hosted here. This will of course require that this site get a source of income but I think that we should be able to get funding from sponsors and foundations for this purpose.

If there is interest, I would appreciate getting suggestions concerning the best way to do this. Thanks.

Wise.