Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Employment

Employment

I need advice. I am a C5/6 quad, two years post injury. I want to work! I want to earn money, even a little bit! Problem is, I have NO use of either hand. I used to be a computer technician, and I want to stay in the field. I am proficient with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I hope to get training through vocational rehab, but they want me to tell them where I could find a job, but I don't know. I do know that I don't want to waste time training for something and then not be able to find work.

What have others done in my situation? Web design, database design, application training, programming, etc.? Work at home, at the office? I am proficient with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Is there work out there for me?

Megan

I think that you are on the right path in emphasizing computers and becoming proficient with DragonNaturallySpeaking. The dot com industry is coming out of its dip and there will be a great need for people who can design web sites, administer sites, and deal with internet systems. Most of the work can be done over the Net from a computer at home.
    For example, as this site gains grows, I hope that it can be run by people in the community.

Wise.

Another idea

You may want to "bone up" on computer adaptations for people with disabilities. While many OTs do this, there is also a need for people from the computer/info technology side to know this. You could work as a consultant for businesses or schools who need to make "reasonable accomodations" under the ADA for their employees or students with disabilities, as well as individual consultation to clients and even to smaller rehab centers which have no staff of their own who are proficient at this. You would need to learn modifications for all disabilities...hearing impaired, visually impaired, etc., not just paralysis, and have a marketing plan.

I know a guy locally who teaches special computer classes at a community college for PWD. He is a C-5 tetraplegic, and carved out this job for himself in a similar way.

You would not be able to work exclusively from home, but it could be done from a home office.

voice recognition

The new Microsoft Office XP upgrade includes voice recognition software. Its accuracy is about 85 to 90 percent when I dictate directly into Microsoft Word.

This is important to me because I have no use of my hands either and I am a freelance technical writer. I work at home for a variety of companies. All assignments are turned in via electronic mail. I think that finding work as a freelance programmer would be similar. Finding a full-time employer is much more difficult if you did not keep your job after your injury.

Megan

Megan here's a link to online programming tutorials http://www.programmingtutorials.com/main.asp it might be of some interest

i'm building a catalog site in exchang for a rugby chair and some wheels. maybe you can do stuff for community or local sci recreational dept. hell, i may need help soon. i'm also c5-6 complete

altgough, i too wish i could go back to my old job at the shop, which i was offered, but i cant take because its too damn hot. i miss the socialization of work. hopefully soon

Help Desk . . .

. . . might be a good option. It would allow you to leverage your experience as a tech if you could more easily distinguish between software/hardware problems. There's a gazillion jobs out there for this. I'm a programmer. That's also a great option if you can get the training. Go for it, whatever you decide. Employment helps a lot.

Get certified

Megan,

My best advice would be to get a few different certifications for "proof" that you know what you say you know. I am going through the certification process right now since it seems every job now requires a certificate or acronym after your name.

Good luck and keep us informed...

-Steven

I agree with Steven. There is a tremendous demand for people who are certified in database systems and it will allow you to get jobs that you can't get otherwise. For example, most of the major commercial sites to be driven by Oracle databases. A person who is certified to working with such databases can charge consulting fees of $100-$200 per hour. Wise.