Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have a dream day - August 28

Justice For All
    A Free Service of the
    American Association of People with Disabilities jfa@jfanow.org

I Have a Dream Day -- August 28

Andy Imparato, imparatoa@aol.com, writes:

Last week around the country, we gathered to celebrate the 11th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act. I had the pleasure of participating in events at the US Department of Health and Human Services focusing on Olmstead implementation, at the US Department of Labor focusing on increasing opportunities for youth with disabilities, on Capitol Hill and elsewhere focusing on enhancing opportunities through access to technology, and in Berkeley focusing on grass roots activism. I also had a chance to address youth leadership forum events for high school students with disabilities in Maryland, California and Virginia.

Clearly, our community is making its voice heard and beginning to have an impact on decision makers who control policy and budgets that affect us. Just as clearly, our battles have not yet been won.

This August 28 is the 38th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech at the Lincoln Memorial. On that day, I invite disability advocates around the country to honor Dr. King's legacy by communicating your own dreams to your elected officials and the media. You don't have to come to Washington to communicate your dream on August 28. You don't even have to leave your house or apartment. You can e-mail your elected officials and the media if you choose. Whatever you decide to do, please do something on August 28 to make your dream known in the broader community.

Here are some ideas about what we might communicate on August 28:

I have a dream that IDEA will be fully enforced and that children with disabilities and their families will stop being scapegoated as a "discipline problem."

I have a dream that Clint Eastwood and the small business lobby will stop pushing the ADA Notification Act and start embracing their responsibilities to serve customers with disabilities, our families and friends.

I have a dream that President Bush will nominate federal judges who support Congress's ability to enact laws like the Americans with Disabilities Act under the Constitution, and withdraw the nomination of states' rights activist Jeffrey Sutton to the Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

I have a dream that Congress and the Administration will enact the Medicaid Community Attendant Services and Supports Act and the Family Opportunity Act, giving people a real choice in the community when they need long-term services and supports for themselves and/or their children.

I have a dream that my State will implement the Ticket to Work and Work Incentives Improvement Act by passing a Medicaid buy-in, and implement the Olmstead Supreme Court decision by extending access to home and community-based services to people stuck in institutions.

I have a dream that, the next time there is an election, I will have a right to vote in a truly accessible polling place, with a secret ballot for blind voters and maximum independence in voting for everyone.

What is your dream?

Shout it out on August 28. Do it for yourself. Do it for the next generation of disability leaders. Do it for Justin Dart, who will celebrate his birthday on August 28.

Andy Imparato
    President
    American Association of People with Disabilities www.aapd-dc.org
    imparatoa@aol.com

p.s. send an e-mail to jfa@aapd-dc.org and let us know what you did on August 28.

--

Fred Fay
    Occasional Substitute Moderator
    jfa@jfanow.org

Justice For All
    http://www.jfanow.org

its also my birthday!!!

I'll be 27

August 28 is my birthday!

Ill be 38.

IF ONLY...

IF ONLY everyone with a disability would really do this! Come on guys, here's our chance to rally together and see to it that on Aug. 28 we, the SCI community, write to the press and or the researchers and demand a cure! Let them know that our dream is to be cured!

Happy Birthday, Max and Spineyboy! Justin Dart and Martin Luther King, too!

America led the way of the world in recognizing that the disabled have rights and society must do more than just hide them. Perhaps it will also lead the way in research to restore function. Happy Birthday...

Wise.