Thread: Why are they called Suicide Knobs?

Why are they called Suicide Knobs?

Someone fill me in. And if I've posted this question in the past, forgive me, my memory is failing.

http://adrenalinechick.friendpages.com

I'm not sure on the details, but I think at one point (60's or 70's) they became popular on cars. I think there was a problem with them breaking off while turning or something causing drivers to lose control and crash. I think they are now actually illegal to use unless you are drive a large truck or need it for a disability.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

They were pretty popular before the advent of power steering, and they did help somewhat as long as you were on pavement. When offroad they became a suicide knob! ever hit a rut or curb and have the wheel jerked out of your hand and try to catch it again? well the knob became lethal then..LOL Got 4 broken, arthritic, swollen, painfull fingers from the olden days. They would also get caught in shirt sleeves and cause havoc.

Never worried bout the shirt sleeve tho
    Was ..wore t-shirts with a pack of camels rolled up in the sleeve

I use one now and, it ain't so

DIGG.

We always called them "necker knobs". Allowed you to drive a non-power steering car with one hand leaving the other one free to lay around your girls neck. Damn, I'm dating myself("only" 48).

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

My friends say I'm crazy for driving with one, and I have lost control on roundabouts while using it, but I've tried driving without it and I can't make sharp turns.

http://adrenalinechick.friendpages.com

I have one on my van too. I think it would be tough to do any tight maneuvering without it. I don't use it much "on the road", find the various slots in the steering wheel give me the necessary grabbing spots for most curvy spots. Maybe try and having them put it in a different spot would help.

I believe it is pretty much "standard issue" for all disability vehicles. Are these friends disabled drivers too or AB? If AB, discount their input. If PWD, ask them what they do.

Also kinda depends on how "much" power steering your vehicle has. Different makes have differing levels of ease.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

Kiran

I've been using one for 25+ years and haven't had any problem. Lots of times when I travel I get rental cars without them and it doesn't seem to be a problem getting used to noot having it but I prefer when its there. Maybe you need to slow down from 60 mph during the roundabouts Oh yeah...you would be kph in Canada....

Steve

I always preferred their other name...necker knobs (so you could drive with one arm around your sweetie)!!!

(KLD)

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    I can't use mine unless I'm going very slow (parking lot speed). I don't feel like I have control of my car if I'm driving at higher speeds.

It's hard for me to manuever my car in parking lots, backing up, etc, without mine. I've used rental cars without them, and found it harder to get in and out of parking spots. Sounds weird, I know.