Thread: Protocols for getting up after long bed rest? SCI-Nurse

Protocols for getting up after long bed rest? SCI-Nurse

What are the protocols for getting back in the chair after flap surgery and are they the same for extended bed rest?

I'm almost ready to give it a try.

PS I've been doing bed rest for nearly 6 years because of frequent skin tears... my flap surgery was in 2013.
    Last edited by Scott C4/5; 02-15-2020 at 01:44 AM.

I think my first in a chair was 20 minutes, two or three times a day if wanted; depended on the skin check after getting back in bed. Gradually increased for the next month or so; I forget the schedule. They had a calendar showing the progression until I could sit for 8 hours a day thendischarged.

My first one never healed completely so had it done again with the same regimen . Two weeks out of hospital, it got to the point my heart pressure dropped under forty; and came close to bitin the bullet. Turns out I had an abysses under the old wound so two more weeks down. I feel it may have been the problem from the start. Doc figured with the heavy antibiotics I was taking anything like that would be gone. Never took an mri to check. Make sure they are absolutely confident there's no infection or abysses left. That's going on four years ago with no problems since. This Ride Java cushion seems to be the ticket for me. Going thru what you did takes strength

Really glad to hear you're getting to the next stage Scott. It's been a long haul for you. You'll be back even stronger in no time.

Seating evaluation and get best cushion. Start getting up for 15 minutes and increase by 15 minute increments every 2-3 days. When back in bed check for redness or bruising. If issues. Go back to bed rest for 1-2 weeks then start over.gradually increase time siting up. Weight shifts every 15 minutes and weight release every hour. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.