Thread: Colonoscopy with stoma questions

Colonoscopy with stoma questions

I am finally going to have it done for the first time since I got the colostomy. I got t in 2012.
    Do I have to go under or can I decline anesthesia.
    And the nurse that gave me my directions on this and the paper works both says I can't have any liquids after midnight. If I cut off all liquids for that length of time I will have problems with catheter clogging and infection. What to do?

You discuss it with them. They might let you continue water up to 2 hours before the test, depending on the anesthesia. If general anesthesia, they won't do the test if you eat or drink. Plus you have to be totally cleaned out with no stool at all, so they can see the entire colon.
    We give our patients a double prep starting 2-3 days before the test.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

CWO thank you for replying. I think i will call them and see what they say.