Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fattest off road tires for a standard 559 wheel?

Well, not an 'off-road' but,

But I've been using Scwalbe Cruiser Bike tires, the Big Apple and the Big Ben for several year now.
    55-559 {26 x 2.15) mounted on standard 1" wheelchair rims.

I've gone through about 5 or six pairs and love them for all around use.

I've gone back to skinny tires just for a reality check but prefer the fatties for everyday use.

Prior to the Cruiser bike tires i used the Kenda 2" knobbies.

I use them with a 'dumb' drive pusher unit that, in current configuration, cruises at about 14 mph
    (with a FreeWheel attached).

The big tires really help soften the bumps and are more stable at speed.

Jeff
    Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Embarrassingly I don’t think I even know what a spacer looks like when it comes to my wheelchair. I can’t think of a way that this could be easily swapped. How hard is it to change out a spacer?
    I use spacers that have an allen head set screw so they always stay on the extra axles and don't slide like washers would. I think sportaid has them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I use spacers that have an allen head set screw so they always stay on the extra axles and don't slide like washers would. I think sportaid has them.
    Yeah, Sportaid sells those!

https://www.sportaid.com/rear-wheel-axle-spacer.html
    Last edited by Oddity; 02-12-2020 at 02:20 PM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Running 60-559 (26*2.35) 30-55psi Big Apple Schwalbes as my everyday tire.

For context, on the same axle as a 27" 622 (27"/28") sun wheel with a grey non-marking Cheng Shin tire (700x28c 28-622) 700c - same outside diameter fully inflated etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    So I can buy a couple of these and a set of 508 wheels (I'll probably just look for a deal on some used Spinergy's on ebay). The axle is probably adjustable enough that I can set the smaller wheels (with bigger tires) to fit properly without having to buy an extra-long axel or something, right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    So I can buy a couple of these and a set of 508 wheels (I'll probably just look for a deal on some used Spinergy's on ebay). The axle is probably adjustable enough that I can set the smaller wheels (with bigger tires) to fit properly without having to buy an extra-long axel or something, right?
    Probably but it's hard to say for 100% certain without a lot more detail about the parts. Worst case you might need to order a longer set of axle pins. I dunno if Spinergy make 508. They might. My rims are Syncros. Sportaid sells a Sun set in 508. Gotta make sure the tires are tall enough too. 508 with Maxxis Holy Roller is a near perfect match to 559 with Marathons but can't say the same for sure about other setups.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Probably but it's hard to say for 100% certain without a lot more detail about the parts. Worst case you might need to order a longer set of axle pins. I dunno if Spinergy make 508. They might. My rims are Syncros. Sportaid sells a Sun set in 508. Gotta make sure the tires are tall enough too. 508 with Maxxis Holy Roller is a near perfect match to 559 with Marathons but can't say the same for sure about other setups.
    Oh, whoops, I thought 508 was the "wheelchair" 24 inch size... I just looked it up so I guess it's not. That makes it a tad more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Your local bearing or engineer supply outlet should also have them -Bearing or shaft collars.
    Or just fit a set of bearings as spacers- they are not going anywhere past the detente balls unless you press the release button.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Your local bearing or engineer supply outlet should also have them -Bearing or shaft collars.
    Or just fit a set of bearings as spacers- they are not going anywhere past the detente balls unless you press the release button.
    Using hub bearings is a terrific idea.

I use 1/2 inch slip fittings for copper pipe. They’re 1 1/8 and I cut them to the length I want with a tube cutter. I’ve been doing it for different wheels for the last twenty years.