Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fattest off road tires for a standard 559 wheel?

Fattest off road tires for a standard 559 wheel?

Eventually I'm thinking about buying a spare set of wheels just for backup, but thinking maybe I can keep some big fat off road tires on them for when I go camping and whatnot.

Anybody fit some wider than standard (and here I guess I'm comparing to the schwalbe marathons I always run) tires on their chair?

I'm new to 559, used to have 590 wheels, and the selection of tires was very limited in that size.

on my 559's I use Continental Town and Country tires which are 26x2.1". I think you might be able to get away with some 2.3-2.5" tires on them. They are great for camping, dirt trails, , grass, etc. But not so good on snow. They have a nice spine down the middle so its a smooth ride but has enough grip on the sides. I used to have 590's but now are on 559. Since my 559 wheels are my daily wheels, I plan on getting 540 wheels with Kenda Nevegal tires as they are roughly the same rolling diameter of my 559 with schwalbe's.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...SABEgIW7vD_BwE

I was also thinking about getting these: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...roller-26-tire
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

Blog Entries
    I use Maxxis Holy Rollers on a standard 1" wide rim. They're like 2.65" wide. They're on a 508 rim though. They match 559 with Marathons perfectly in outer diameter.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I use Maxxis Holy Rollers on a standard 1" wide rim. They're like 2.65" wide. They're on a 508 rim though. They match 559 with Marathons perfectly in outer diameter.
    So if you do this the handrim ends up being a little smaller in diameter than the everyday wheels, right? Does that end up messing you up and making you slip when you’re not thinking about it?

Also, is there an easy way to space a second set of wheels a bit further out from the wheelchair frame?

im guessing it’s not that simple. I just looked at my current tires and there’s not even enough clearance for me to put one finger between my tire and the sideguard. So if I went much wider it would end up rubbing the side guard or something else.

If you get longer axels and then some washers to put on the axels once through the wheel and before you put them on the chair you could gain some extra clearance that way. If the axle is say an inch longer and you get enough washers to take up the extra inch then you would have an extra inch clearance on each side. I will look out in the storage building to see what size tires I have run on the rim's you speak of

Blog Entries
    Exactly. Spacers are the only way other than running everyday wheels farther out, which is highly undesirable. Yes, push rings are farther from top of wheels but I'm usually using gloves and the tires when I use the knobbies.

(I actually have a set of hubs specifically designed to accommodate larger tires while maintaining spacing. They're offset. The company went out of business, sadly. This was a genius idea. You can see where they added the offset right by where they touch the camber tube. It's ~3/4" so a 2.5" tire with these hubs has same spacing as a 1" tire with normal hubs.)

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I was able to throw on a pair of Kenda Nevegal Black Knobby Tires (24 x 2.1, 54-540) without issue (on 24" Spinergy Spox). You will need a longer axle and spacer to get the tire away enough. Also keep in mind that it's not a simple swap. Bigger tire - brakes need to be moved and your dump changes. I set up one of my spare frames to be just for the knobbies, so I wouldn't have to mess with those two things on my everyday chair. I used 24 x 1.95 tubes. I will say that the knobbies are pretty tough on the hands, definitely need gloves.

I have Maxxis Holy Rollers on a set of Rogue rims like Oddity has (even though they are collecting dust in my office). They are easier to push, easier on the hands as the tread is not aggressive. But the Rogues are 26", so that's a different chair set up as well.

Embarrassingly I don’t think I even know what a spacer looks like when it comes to my wheelchair. I can’t think of a way that this could be easily swapped. How hard is it to change out a spacer?
    Last edited by Oddity; 02-12-2020 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Hit edit button by mistake. Sorry. Fat finger meant to hit quote.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Embarrassingly I don?t think I even know what a spacer looks like when it comes to my wheelchair. I can?t think of a way that this could be easily swapped. How hard is it to change out a spacer?

Just use a couple/few 1/8" split washers on the axle pin itself. You can slide them right off if you want but the quick release detents keep them on when you don't.