Thread: Problems after ankle fusion

Angry Problems after ankle fusion

I had ankle fusion on 11/8/2016 for drop foot I suffered from my sci/tbi when I was 18. I kind of regret doing the surgery now because I feel like I walk a little worse and I have aches in my left and right foot. I have lower back pain as well. Sometimes my whole right leg aches and sometimes wants to give out. I had a brown sequars sci. My left side is my bad side & my right side works pretty much normal. Question is if it’s possible to undo & remove the screws from my fusion and just go back to wearing a afo? I never suffered from problems in my right leg or had back problems prior to my ankle fusion surgery.
    Last edited by mj23; 02-11-2020 at 03:24 AM.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I have never heard of ankle fusion for foot drop. Usually controlled with orthotics.
    Have you seen a physical therapist since the surgery? Ask the surgeon who performed the procedure.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.