Thread: How long till they can edit out the pain gene SCN9A ?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

How long till they can edit out the pain gene SCN9A ?

How long using the new gene editing techniques until 'THEY' are able to edit out the pain gene and take the pain away?

Is someone working on this?

https://www.nature.com/news/2006/061...061211-11.html
    https://www.nature.com/news/2006/061...061211-11.html

END PAIN FOREVER
    HOW A SINGLE GENE COULD
    BECOME A VOLUME
    KNOB FOR HUMAN SUFFERING

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/the-cure-for-pain/

Blog Entries
    Isn't pain an important component of preserving life? I know our SCI pain is an aberration of the evolutionary/survival purposes of pain, generally speaking, but this kind of stuff creeps me out. I dunno why.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

There is a good argument for keeping pain around.
    But as an old dude with too much pain, I'd take it all away and try and use my best common sense to preserve my life.
    For the most part I can not feel pain.. you pour boiling water on my legs or stab them, or break my toes I wouldn't notice.

But the arthritis pain in my lower back, my Ischiogluteal bursa nerve pain in my buttocks and hemorrhoid pain is just killing me, I can fight the neuropathic pain.

If there were human trials tomorrow I'd sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Isn't pain an important component of preserving life? I know our SCI pain is an aberration of the evolutionary/survival purposes of pain, generally speaking, but this kind of stuff creeps me out. I dunno why.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    There is a good argument for keeping pain around.
    But as an old dude with too much pain, I'd take it all away and try and use my best common sense to preserve my life.
    For the most part I can not feel pain.. you pour boiling water on my legs or stab them, or break my toes I wouldn't notice.

But the arthritis pain in my lower back, my Ischiogluteal bursa nerve pain in my buttocks and hemorrhoid pain is just killing me, I can fight the neuropathic pain.

If there were human trials tomorrow I'd sign up.
    But what about all of the other potentially helpful sources of pain?

I can think of multiple times over the past few days that pain has been very helpful to me.
    1. Picking up pieces of a glass that shattered when I knocked it off of the counter. If I couldn't feel the pain of the sharpness of the glass I would not have been able to safely pick up the pieces without slicing my fingers to bits.
    2. Grabbing a hot pan out of the oven. I had a towel wrapped around the handle, but it wasn't completely covering my palm, so some slight pain informed me of this and I adjusted my hand and saved myself from a full thickness 3rd degree burn which would have left me unable to drive or transfer anywhere.
    3. Pain in my back where my (admittedly less than ideal) sling back hits me routinely gives me feedback to move and adjust and use some sort of additional cushion, which avoids me potentially getting a pressure sore there.
    4. I've been having some pain in my left shoulder, not quite sure what it's from, but I've adjusted the way I do things and have been more careful with my transfers and limiting how much I stress that shoulder, so the pain is getting better. If I had no pain and continued doing what I was doing who knows what might have gone wrong with that shoulder over the course of a few months.

The elimination of pain might be useful if you don't have the ability to respond to pain (ie high level complete quad) and are experiencing extreme pain, but if you are physically able to move to just about any degree, I would worry that eliminating pain would drastically shorten your lifespan. Like I pointed out above, if I'd done this on Monday, I'd be typing this message with bits of glass embedded in my finger tips and a burn on my left palm while leaning back in my chair on a rapidly developing pressure sore completely unaware of impending catastrophe in my right shoulder.

I didn’t read it all but have a friend who is a pain researcher and the idea is to only partially express the anti-pain gene stuff.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.