Thread: ?? Botox ??

?? Botox ??

I am a c4/5 incomplete with condom catheter drainage for 20 yrs. the last 18 mths i have been plagued with uti's so just had urodynamics done and after voiding my residuals are between 200 to 400 ml.
    My urologist suggested we try botox has anyone done this for a apparently tight spincter . he scoped me and all looks good in bladder and prostate is fine and not the problem

There are many posts on this website that speak to this. I will let the real experts- those who have done it, speak. I will tell you that many people have used Botox with great success to deal with spasticity in their bladder and sphincter.
    Ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There are many posts on this website that speak to this. I will let the real experts- those who have done it, speak. I will tell you that many people have used Botox with great success to deal with spasticity in their bladder and sphincter.
    Ckf
    Thank you Nurse would love to hear from folks that have had this done.

I've had botox 4 times. First two lasted 5-6 months, third only 2 months, so we bumped to 300 units (from 200) and I'm in month two now. I'm complete so the procedure is pretty quick since I don't need any sedatives. I will also note that the last time I did it, I got an antibiotic-resistant UTI. This is a potential side-effect of any bladder procedures. Took 14 days on IV antibiotics to clear that one.

As such, I'm trying a new bladder bill when the botox wears off the next time. Instead of Oxybutinin, which makes me stupid, the new one (starts with a T...tropsium?) is supposed to have less of a cognitive impact.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Trospium. Side effects are less. Not usually as strong. Botox to sphincter requires use of a condom catheter. Botox to the bladder requires catheterization. Botox totally relaxes the muscles (sphincter, bladder). Urine should be tested and all organisms treated before procedure. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Trospium. Side effects are less. Not usually as strong. Botox to sphincter requires use of a condom catheter. Botox to the bladder requires catheterization. Botox totally relaxes the muscles (sphincter, bladder). Urine should be tested and all organisms treated before procedure. CWO
    Thank you all that is what we wanted to hear as i do wear a condom cath.