Thread: SCI Nurse - can't find AD cause

SCI Nurse - can't find AD cause

I have been dealing with AD-caused elevated BP (been lowering it with NItroBid, per my doctor), and cannot find a cause. Sometimes, stool is present, and removed, and hemmorhoid cream used, but that doesn't necessarily lower BP. There's been no bleeding. Sometimes, nothing is there. Foley is flowing fine, skin is okay, no ingrown toenails (some fungus), and whatever else I can think to check. An abdominal ultrasound early last month showed me to be stone free. I know hospital is likely the next step, but I'd appreciate if you could suggest what I can ask them to check for. Otherwise, they'll just treat my BP and send me home. I get extreme anxiety in the hospital, so if I have to deal with that, going there can at least be useful.

As I've mentioned before, I no longer always sweat with AD, even when stool is present. I may get a chilled feeling in my shoulder blade area, on top of the usual burning and other noxious sensations.

Thank you very much for your help.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Can you think of anything new or different that happened in your life around the time you started to get this AD? New clothes, shoes, chair, cushion. Different diet, time schedule for day, night? Have you tried any kind of stretching, massage?

Nothing different. We did find a small open area on the right side of my scrotum, apparently caused by pressure against my thigh. I don't know if this is THE cause of the always elevated BP, or a contributing cause, or too small to be a factor, but it is there. We also have no idea what causes the BP to always shoot up between 11 p.m. and midnight every day (occasionally, some stool is present.)

With the HitroBid not working as well as it did, does anyone have an idea of other BP meds I can discuss with my doctor? Guess I need something until I find and treat the cause.

Thanks.
    Alan

By far, you need to find the cause. It might be helpful to have a flat p!are of the abdomen to make sure there are no impactions. The other causes include bladder issues, skin issues, jeans that are too tight, change in cushion or mattress......
    Ckf
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 02-07-2020 at 07:48 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    By far, you need to find the cause. It might be helpful to have a flat p!are of the abdomen to make sure there are no impactions. The other causes include bladder issues, skin issues, jeans that are too tight, change in cushion or mattress......
    Ckf
    I can ask for the abdominal x-ray. Digital checks not uncommonly find stool in varying amounts (few to many), and Magic Bullet and sample Enemeez produce the same (a little to a lot.) Bladder is fine, as are pants. I'm on the same Ride cushion I've been on for over five years. I will be getting a new one (and new chair) later this month, so I'll be keeping an eye on that. In the meantime, I'm prescribed up to two inches of NitroBid at a time.

My BP also has a strange pattern. From whatever level it is, between 11 p.m. and 12:00 a.m., it shoots up, sometimes 30 points or more, with or without stool. I'm in bed watching TV (nothing exciting.) It can be go up around noon, also.
    Thank you.
    Alan