Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best disposable drainage bags?

Hey – not sure if I got a faulty bag. Quick question: if you put fluid in the extension tube that's attached to the bag and just hold it up to clean it does the liquid drain down into the bag. Mine does not – perhaps it's faulty or it just needs a lot more pressure?

Quick thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    That is the style bag I use.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Hey – not sure if I got a faulty bag. Quick question: if you put fluid in the extension tube that's attached to the bag and just hold it up to clean it does the liquid drain down into the bag. Mine does not – perhaps it's faulty or it just needs a lot more pressure?

Quick thought?
    The opening pressure of the one-way valves is normally tiny. Virtually any liquid present will empty into the bag. A six? inch water column in the tubing should rush right through and down. Something is wrong!
    Once, long ago, I put a new bag into service and the "little red valve" was stuck shut. I see how it's possible that over a long time of never being used the two sides of the duck-bill valve might get tacky and stick. I hunch they're laytex which is subject to degradation over time in air. Since then, every month when I'm replacing the bag, I stick a piece of tubing over the inlet and breathe into it just enough to see it opened.All these ten? years later, I've never encountered a sticky valve.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

My main problem is negative pressure or not having enough pressure pushing through so that the urine backs up in the extension tube and into the catheter, bladder and eventually kidneys. Which I can feel relatively well and is very painful

I was hoping that this vented leg bag could be used with a reusable drainage bag. My plan is to commandeer the"vent" thus reducing the negative pressure and hopefully causing everything to flow easily. Does this sound logical?
    IME there's often urine in the leg bag extension tubing. Looks like the linked stuff has a device at the end of the tubing where it connects to the catheter. I can see how a one-way valve to atmosphere there would facilitate the tubing to drain by venting atmospheric pressure into the tube, but don't expect it would move the residual inside the catheter along.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I ended up taking off the vent system and putting it on a normal bag. The system is weird with very thin tubing etc. however – it does relieve an increased airflow. However trying to find the valve by itself seems near impossible. I can imagine I'm the only one struggling with this sort of problem. I written to three different medical companies and still waiting for some answers if I find anything that I can share with others I will.

Really hoping for a solution and definitely doing the groundwork.