Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best disposable drainage bags?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    PFCS 49 – can you see or how do you tell how much urine is in the container/bag. Often my backup with air and fluid so I don't judge just the fluid output. Just curious to see how you get an idea of what's going on or if you can this by looking briefly? Thanks for your thoughts.
    There is no way to measure volume short of draining into a graduated container, but unless you're logging urine output, it's a non-issue.
    You'll quickly get present to when it's time to dump, or can I go to the Shoprite and dump it later?
    PS: I wonder how people that wear these things up high deal with draining. I put about a 5" piece of tube over the drain valve, wear it only inner calf, and put my foot on it's outer side on the rim of the toilet.
    At home Stuck a strip of Velcro on the left side of the rim of the bowl; when pissing with only my sock on, my foot has fallen in more than once
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Hey thanks for the knowledge. Looking to pick one up as a trial. Is there a name for what you attached above?
    I tried Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=reus...w=1351&bih=876

I'm still searching for your particular version. How is the pressure for it to flow into the bag? Is gravity enough? Again thank you and I will pass the word around because there are many more than just me who are having problems with these damn bags.

If you're not having contractions (ideal), then gravity alone controls the flow. So gravity is what pushes open the one-way anti-reflux valve at the top of the bag.
    You've mentioned air in the bag. As far as I can see, once the system is sealed for use, any air in the system will stay there unless you squeeze out the bag when emptying. I don't think any gases arise in a healthy bladder (i.e.: not a compost heap )
    And don't think air gets introduced through the urethra or ostomy.

PS: the reflux valve is replaceable in my leg bag. Never needed one but suppose if you wore the thing for years (which certainly is a possibility), it might need replacing
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    If you're not having contractions (ideal), then gravity alone controls the flow. So gravity is what pushes open the one-way anti-reflux valve at the top of the bag.
    You've mentioned air in the bag. As far as I can see, once the system is sealed for use, any air in the system will stay there unless you squeeze out the bag when emptying. I don't think any gases arise in a healthy bladder (i.e.: not a compost heap )
    And don't think air gets introduced through the urethra or ostomy.

PS: the reflux valve is replaceable in my leg bag. Never needed one but suppose if you wore the thing for years (which certainly is a possibility), it might need replacing
    Thank you again for all the info. Do you have a link or a search term for the bag that you use? I want to give it a try ASAP. The context information is very helpful. I think the air that I have is from colonized bacteria that give off/produce various types of gas.

Pseudomonas is my nemesis and is always there. Right now it's super strong and doing everything I can to try to trick it or to keep its colonies small. Oil of oregano, hiprex/ with with vitamin C and Ellura are my daily preventative supplements.

Thank you Phil. I want to check these out as well.I ended up buying a reusable bag from the company suggested above.

Unfortunately the "easy flow" ? was not easy and ended up causing back pressure. This seems to be my nemesis at the moment causing pain and infections; yet such a simple problem but the vented bags to work either to relieve the negative pressure.

I'm still searching desperately to find something that will just work. It's weird ? because this was not a problem for me for over a decade and now seems to be a daily occurrence and causes considerable Exhausting pain.

https://www.allegromedical.com/cathe...z-p174271.html
    - Picked up a few of these to try.

Still trying different models. Eventually have to find one that functions as stated before I go broke – the pain that results from kidney backup is very motivating along with incidence of infection. You would think that companies would prioritize this item and have high QA. So many people I talk to have problems with external devices.

I don't know any bags that are vented. Colostomy bags, yes, but urinary bags? Show me one please. And I can't imagine why they would be vented or how they could discriminate between gas and liquids.
    NW NJ

Hollister makes a vented leg bag:
    https://www.hollister.com/en/product...mbination-pack

No real benefit if using an indwelling catheter, but may be helpful for men using an ECC (external condom catheter).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My main problem is negative pressure or not having enough pressure pushing through so that the urine backs up in the extension tube and into the catheter, bladder and eventually kidneys. Which I can feel relatively well and is very painful

I was hoping that this vented leg bag could be used with a reusable drainage bag. My plan is to commandeer the"vent" thus reducing the negative pressure and hopefully causing everything to flow easily. Does this sound logical?