Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Specifying frame length on Tilite Order Form

Blog Entries
    I see. Makes sense. I often use closed fist for transfers too. Saves my wrists and fingers the stress (as a guitar player that matters a lot). I'm strong and light so don't have real shoulder issues, yet, but I can see that becoming an issue. If I put my fist onto the outer edge of my cushion vs grabbing a bit behind that for the wheel there isn't much difference in my arm extension, really. Guess it depends where you're planting your fist. It takes all kinds for the world to go 'round, as my Nana used to say.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Yeah. I just let my preferred tire size and dump and reach to the hub center dictate seat height and axle position for my current chair. Came out to 16.5" height and 3.75" axle position. Going with the old "center of the hub" reach, with arms relaxed at the side, for "ideal push stroke" notion.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    By the way, I had a tall chair. I figured it would help my shoulders and make it easier to communicate with taller people. Well, it did make it easier to communicate with taller people. But it backfired with the shoulders resulting in overuse injury. Because as you increase seat height, you use more shoulder and less arm muscles (think short choppy strokes instead on long smoother strokes). Since I have gone back a lower seating position, I have offloaded much of the shoulder work to my arms. That's helping recover the shoulders from constant overuse injury they were subject to over the previous 5 years in that tall chair.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    That's an interesting choice August. I like it. I'd fit perfectly into that chair (except it's too low for my tastes.)
    If I recall correctly, you use a Roho cushion. That's why you need taller seat height. I use a Ride Custom so I need lower seat height.

Yeah. I just let my preferred tire size and dump and reach to the hub center dictate seat height and axle position for my current chair. Came out to 16.5" height and 3.75" axle position. Going with the old "center of the hub" reach, with arms relaxed at the side, for "ideal push stroke" notion.
    I like the Ride Custom cushion for most things. Pushing isn't one of them. In a Roho or soft foam cushion your thighs sink deeper into the cushion as you lean forward toward the end of the push. This natural rocking motion enables not only your thighs but also your entire upper body to lean in further toward the end of the push. The Ride Custom doesn't enable leaning into the push as much. Hence, the "center of the hub" rule has to be adjusted so that you sit lower to compensate.

You want that natural rocking motion. Because without it your hips are locked into place. Your back and shoulders need sway in your hips. Otherwise you contort your body as you extend it (in any direction). Doesn't matter when sitting still. But makes a difference (more than you may think) for all sorts of activity, even transferring and reaching.

I am questioning how the Ride Custom affects shoulders in this way and how much I want to use the Ride Custom. Using it exclusively right now. But that may change.
    Last edited by August West; 02-01-2020 at 03:23 AM.

I see. Makes sense. I often use closed fist for transfers too. Saves my wrists and fingers the stress (as a guitar player that matters a lot). I'm strong and light so don't have real shoulder issues, yet, but I can see that becoming an issue. If I put my fist onto the outer edge of my cushion vs grabbing a bit behind that for the wheel there isn't much difference in my arm extension, really. Guess it depends where you're planting your fist. It takes all kinds for the world to go 'round, as my Nana used to say.
    To exert as little stress on my shoulder as possible, I want my fist planted as close as possible to where I am transfering. That means planting it under my thigh. The space between this spot and the wheel is 6". To make it even easier, I move my butt toward the front corner of the cushion toward where I am transfering. Now I can plant my fist in the middle of the cushion rather than the outside corner, thus gaining another several inches.

That extra reach is unnecessary stress on my shoulder (think iron cross). More power to you if you can extend your shoulder that far unnecessarily.

But don't be mistaken and learn from my mistake. I used to do transfers without locking brakes. For example, getting out of the car I would start the transfer with the chair roughly where I wanted it and then I would pull my chair into position as I transferred in. Basically, I could hold myself in the air indefinitely mid-transfer and move the chair back and forth with a planted fist on the cushion. Show off! That's how strong my shoulders were. Now I have to baby them with a transfer board due to injury. That injury took about 5 seconds and changed my life forever. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Don't push it man!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Sound advice, for sure.