Thread: STF height Permobil C500

STF height Permobil C500

Looking for input from anyone who uses a C500 or has used one in the past. I'm considering purchasing a used chair...7 or 8 years old. It's not a standing model. It has tilt and elevation. The current owner has told me that the STF height is 21". That is a good 3" (probably closer to 3.5") higher than my current chair. I am wondering if the seat height is adjustable. I have looked a lot trying to find info online but it's tough to find specifics about older chairs. I did see something about 5 adjustable seat height settings, but not sure what year model that was. The current owner is unaware if the seat height is adjustable. It's a distance from me so trying to do some research before making the trip.

Those C500's are big and heavy. I have an old one, won't work inside my home, it's just to big. I use it as a street chair. It's also a non stander.

I've had 2 elevate actuators out of a C300 & 500, didn't see a way to lower the elevate actuator in their mounts.

The >non elevating< seat post is adjustable (somewhere I read it's a one time adjustment, like factory set when ordered, but that was a new model).
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Those C500's are big and heavy. I have an old one, won't work inside my home, it's just to big. I use it as a street chair. It's also a non stander.

I've had 2 elevate actuators out of a C300 & 500, didn't see a way to lower the elevate actuator in their mounts.

The >non elevating< seat post is adjustable (somewhere I read it's a one time adjustment, like factory set when ordered, but that was a new model).
    Thanks for the info. I decided against the C500. I really need something smaller and more compact that can operate in tighter spaces and sit lower. I'm thinking maybe an M3 or F3?

I'm 72 and can't transfer like I used to. This thread made me think, boy it certainly would be great if my chair went up and down so all transfers could be downhill ones!
    I had an embarrassing situation yesterday. Went to a concert and parked in the grass just off the asphalt. Tried to transfer and landed on the door sill, and every move I made to rectify the situation made it worse until some able bods came to the rescue. When I came out to the car, realized the driver's front wheel was like 4" lower than the pavement (making THAT transfer a breeze)

PS: I probably said this before, but it bares repeeting: asphalt is NOT a rectal disease!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    Thanks for the info. I decided against the C500. I really need something smaller and more compact that can operate in tighter spaces and sit lower. I'm thinking maybe an M3 or F3?
    I'm not a fan of mid drive (M3/M300). Turn radius is only slightly less than front drive and they get stuck outdoors easier than front drive.
    Many reasonably priced C300's out there. Just make sure they don't have ESP (w/R-Net). Long story, lesson learned.
    Used F3's seem to be getting big bucks but you may find a good deal on one. I've bought a C300 off Craigslist, an old C500 and a C300 off Ebay.
    Patience and you'll find a good deal.
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I'm 72 and can't transfer like I used to. This thread made me think, boy it certainly would be great if my chair went up and down so all transfers could be downhill ones!
    I had an embarrassing situation yesterday. Went to a concert and parked in the grass just off the asphalt. Tried to transfer and landed on the door sill, and every move I made to rectify the situation made it worse until some able bods came to the rescue. When I came out to the car, realized the driver's front wheel was like 4" lower than the pavement (making THAT transfer a breeze)

PS: I probably said this before, but it bares repeeting: asphalt is NOT a rectal disease!
    Would hate to mess up a good GTI but air suspension has been on my mind lately. A truck slammed down with ramp tail gate (like Tesla truck) and winch in bed front.
    These power chairs @ 350-400 lbs suck transporting. I don't like the cut floor mini vans. Rollover waiting to happen.

I had a case of asphalt last summer. Down hill, 10 MPH, my hand accidently hit mode button = full brake lock. 911 got me back in chair. I continued to the barber shop and bike shop, showing off my road rash. Next day I was sore as hell.
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I'm not a fan of mid drive (M3/M300). Turn radius is only slightly less than front drive and they get stuck outdoors easier than front drive.
    Many reasonably priced C300's out there. Just make sure they don't have ESP (w/R-Net). Long story, lesson learned.
    Used F3's seem to be getting big bucks but you may find a good deal on one. I've bought a C300 off Craigslist, an old C500 and a C300 off Ebay.
    Patience and you'll find a good deal.
    Have you used an F3 in your house? I don't have much experience with front wheel drive. I'm not too worried about most areas in my house, but there are a couple doorways that I worry the rear castors may hit while making the turn. I use a mid wheel now and it fits but is certainly tight.

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    Have you used an F3 in your house? I don't have much experience with front wheel drive. I'm not too worried about most areas in my house, but there are a couple doorways that I worry the rear castors may hit while making the turn. I use a mid wheel now and it fits but is certainly tight.
    There is a learning curve when going from mid to front drive.
    I have an F3 and C300 that I use in home. If dry outside, I get in my yard with them too.

F3 is a little different than C300.
    F3 is rear heavy which makes casters jerk sometimes when they pivot 90 degrees. This jerk is noticeable when making slow left/right movements with no or little forward motion. I've adapted to it so rarely does it make me spill or hit things.
    C300 does the same jerk, just not as noticeable due to it's weight is more centered.
    Front drives have more tail swing verses mid drive but not as much as you'd think.

My first new chair was a M300. I hit things with it so much I parked it after a year of attempting to adapt to it.
    4 casters = bad caster jerk every time going from forward to reverse. Also, the front casters were a problem for my bathroom which isn't big enough for a chair. I park in doorway, stand/wobble to toilet. When back in chair and backing out of doorway, front casters would swivel around and bang door and/or doorway. I have a hole in my door from this.

I have some very tight turns in my home with some doorways close to each other. The worst, imagine forward direction, 180 degree change, going through 3 doorways close to each other.
    I'll hit sometimes with the front drive tail swing but only when I don't focus enough or try to rush.

What type mid drive is your chair? Comparing specs, your chair verses one your interested in may help you chose. Width, length, and turn radius.
    Also, seat and armrest width should be considered. My C500 has wider armrest mounts, making armrest pivot bolt (rear of back rest) hit doorways.
    One of my C300's did the same thing until I changed the armrest bar (back of seat back) from 21" to 19" (actual parts replacement, not an adjustment). Need a narrower seat back for it now as the armrest are tightly squeezed against the seat back.

Sorry for the long post, just sharing my experience. Not saying what you should or should not get. We all have different abilities/function and different environments.
    Choosing what is the best chair for your situation is very hard. Every chair has it's negatives. Compromising the good with the negative and how bad is the negative, that's what I consider.
    Some folks love mid drive, some front drive. No right or wrong, what works for you is all that matters. Same goes for name brand.

Searching a particular chair, you'll find many PDF's. My anti virus found a few trojans in these (I use Malwarebytes and Windows Defender). I prefer the PDF's because you can save them in documents folder. Just beware of the dangers, have good anti virus.
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)