Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving from Wheelchair in Mini Van

Triumph, as I said above if there is no automatic tie-down system (like the EZ-lock) installed, then the only option for the wheelchair driver is manual tie-downs such as pictured above, which would require another person to apply them.

That 13,000 number reflects ONLY those driving from their wheelchair, and not the thousands more who transfer to a van seat, which is more common for those with lower level injuries.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I went ahead and called Braun today to ask them. I spoke with a very nice individual who actually drives from a wheelchair himself, so he was extremely helpful. He said that what he does is tether the seat belt latch (female end) to the floor. He said that he prefers to attach it to the floor close to the passenger seat, because otherwise he ends up running over it with his wheels when he enters and exits the van. He also said he drapes it over the factory seat belt latch that is attached to the passenger seat. This lifts it up off the ground so he can reach it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There is a usually a (flexible or rigid) "post" positioned on your right side that holds the buckle for your seatbelt/shoulder harness. I tried to find a good photo, but failed. You might get one from one of our other members.
    (KLD)
    flex.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    Yes! That is awesome...thank you both for the combination explanation/photo! Exactly what I needed to see...thanks!

[QUOTE=SCI-Nurse;1891797]Triumph, as I said above if there is no automatic tie-down system (like the EZ-lock) installed, then the only option for the wheelchair driver is manual tie-downs such as pictured above, which would require another person to apply them.

That 13,000 number reflects ONLY those driving from their wheelchair, and not the thousands more who transfer to a van seat, which is more common for those with lower level injuries.

SCI Nurse - I thought the estimate of 13,000 persons who drive from their wheelchair in the U.S. seemed high, and thought it was much lower.