Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving from Wheelchair in Mini Van

Driving from Wheelchair in Mini Van

I will be getting a new Pacifica with the Braun Entervan Fold Out XT conversion in about 6 weeks. I will be driving from my wheelchair. I had a van years back but transferred into the drivers seat. I was just thinking tonight about how you buckle in when you drive from the wheelchair. What do you buckle into? Do they place the latch anchored to the floor after you get fitted for the EZ lock? The pictures I see on the Braun website just show an empty space with no latch. Thanks!

Unless you have a lock-down device like the EZ-Lock, you have to use manual strap tie downs, which you cannot apply yourself. Keep in mind that the tie-downs don't replace the need to wear a seatbelt/shoulder harness attached to the vehicle, and ideally it is safest if you also wear a seatbelt on your wheelchair.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yes, I'll have EZ lock to keep my chair locked down. And then of course I'm planning on using the seat belt to keep me from flying out of my chair in the case of an accident. But my question is where do they position the latch that the seat belt buckles into? I know they remove the center console so it wouldn't be attached to that.

You should also get a cargo mat to put in the center of your van. Helps keep the water, mud and snow off your vehicle. I got Mine off Amazon, less than 50.00 wish u had done it years ago. Much more expensive if you get it from the dealer

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    Yes, I'll have EZ lock to keep my chair locked down. And then of course I'm planning on using the seat belt to keep me from flying out of my chair in the case of an accident. But my question is where do they position the latch that the seat belt buckles into? I know they remove the center console so it wouldn't be attached to that.

There is a usually a (flexible or rigid) "post" positioned on your right side that holds the buckle for your seatbelt/shoulder harness. I tried to find a good photo, but failed. You might get one from one of our other members.

You might want to look at this RESNA paper about issues around such securement devices:

https://www.resna.org/sites/default/...Roosmalen.html

and this one from the VA:

https://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jo...smalen502.html

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

manual or power chair?
    I will be getting a new Pacifica with the Braun Entervan Fold Out XT conversion in about 6 weeks. I will be driving from my wheelchair. I had a van years back but transferred into the drivers seat. I was just thinking tonight about how you buckle in when you drive from the wheelchair. What do you buckle into? Do they place the latch anchored to the floor after you get fitted for the EZ lock? The pictures I see on the Braun website just show an empty space with no latch. Thanks!
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    manual or power chair?
    Power chair

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    you have to use manual strap tie downs, which you cannot apply yourself.
    (KLD)
    I don't understand why I can't do this myself?

What do you buckle into?
    As far as the seatbelt connection I usually plug into the passenger seat receiver. Or make up a Y buckle like this and mount it where the passenger seat receiver is.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    I don't understand why I can't do this myself
    Unless you are VERY flexible, and have very long arms, I don't see how you could apply manual wheelchair tie-downs yourself. They're not even very easy for an AB companion to apply!

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is getting a bit confusing. Aren't the manual tie downs for passengers in the vehicle, not drivers?

Tarantella: The second web site given by SCI nurse, the one from the V.A. has some good pictures that show seat belt attachment locations for the wheeler-driver. However, this may be different in 2020 and suggest you make it very clear to provider that you wish to attach them yourself.

Note: I'm really surprised that the researcher in the first study indicated an estimate of something like 13,000 wheelchair-drivers in the U.S., but then the study only used about 23 persons in the study - from Pennsylvania and Michigan. Can't believe that in 2003 there were 13,000 wheelchair drivers in the U.S. and think I read this wrong? Apparently the estimate came from mobility dealers.