Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got a Suprapubic.

Just got a Suprapubic.

Hello everyone this is my first post. I recently had a Suprapubic put in. I have a few questions for those of you with one. Much appreciated to any answers. If anyone is thinking of getting one and or a colostomy ask me any questions you have. I can only answer about the procedure and a couple days after for the suprapubic but I've had the colostomy for 3 years and can answer alot about that.

1. What do you do with the extra tube between where it goes in to the legbag? I have alot of slack and it's just asking to get snagged. If you secure it someway please describe your method.
    2. Do you shower with the legbag or should I put in a plug and attach legbag when I get out?
    3. I have a pink colored stuff coming from the site which I wear a split guaze around now. Will this always ooze stuff or will it go away with healing?
    4. I want to eventually change it myself. I'm a paraplegic and wonder if it will cause A.D. or muscle spasms.
    5.Would riding a lawn mower be a not a good idea? I had a urethral Foley last year and it would cause bleeding when I rode the mower.
    Any extra tips or tricks are appreciated thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ5389 View Post
    Hello everyone this is my first post. I recently had a Suprapubic put in. I have a few questions for those of you with one. Much appreciated to any answers. If anyone is thinking of getting one and or a colostomy ask me any questions you have. I can only answer about the procedure and a couple days after for the suprapubic but I've had the colostomy for 3 years and can answer alot about that.

1. What do you do with the extra tube between where it goes in to the legbag? I have alot of slack and it's just asking to get snagged. If you secure it someway please describe your method.
    2. Do you shower with the legbag or should I put in a plug and attach legbag when I get out?
    3. I have a pink colored stuff coming from the site which I wear a split guaze around now. Will this always ooze stuff or will it go away with healing?
    4. I want to eventually change it myself. I'm a paraplegic and wonder if it will cause A.D. or muscle spasms.
    5.Would riding a lawn mower be a not a good idea? I had a urethral Foley last year and it would cause bleeding when I rode the mower.
    1. I use a statlock device to hold the tube in place at the junction. The main benefit is that it helps prevent the tube from accidentally getting pulled out if it's caught on something. And yes, it always feels like there's too damn much tube. I accidentally pulled mine out last week because of that, so be careful. https://www.crbard.com/Medical/en-US...ization-Device

2. No problem at all showering with it. Just be aware that if you use fabric straps they're going to get wet and probably stay damp afterward.

3. My urologist told me that this stops for most people over time, but mine has continued for over a year. I still use the split gauze everyday.

4. I'm a quad and don't change it myself yet, but I doubt there's any real risk of AD. Spasms probably depend on your specific body, but I wouldn't hesitate to try it to make this happen. I'm trying to figure out a way I can do it without manual dexterity right now.

5. I don't have a lawn mower, but I haven't had any significant bleeding as result of activities. Just keep an eye on it and make sure the hose is tight because you don't want it popping off!
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

IT HAS BEEN suggested that members might put the level of their injury with their name!
    I'd love to see that! And, JJ5389, this isn't directed at you but the community!

1/ I shorten the legbag tubing when I attach it to my new bag (monthly). (I also use the good-ole latex bag which although I replace it monthly, it probably could last a couple years! I sanitize it w/30-40cc bleach and 100cc water soak while I take a shower)
    2/ I plug the catheter with one of the tapered plastic plugs that come with plastic leg bags. My urologist (Todd Lidsenmeyer/Kessloer) suggested I should leave it open.
    3/ The pink stuff should reside. You may end up with "hemmeroids" of overgrowth around the site. They are easily removed with cauterization with silver nitrate at the docs. You probably will have some stoma-snot coming out the site and leaving gooey or hardened residue that's easily removed with soap and water. It is a minimal problem and I don't dress my site. Sometimes I'll have a little bugger dried on my shirt-tail.
    4/ I'm T12, so no AD. I can't say if a higher (T6^?) injury might cause AD. I kind of doubt it. The catheter change is very low impact/gentle. I've been changing mine monthly since I got it ~13 years ago.
    5/ I raced a go-cart with one. It beat the living shit out of me! I expected to pee blood for a week. Nothing happened, but I chose not to race go-carts any more (so I raced full sized cars)

Good luck. I wish I got a suprpubic 25 years ago when injured.
    PS: got my colostomy in 2012. Another good move AFAICT
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pfcs49; 01-23-2020 at 01:17 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Thank you both for the tips. Very helpful. What do you do with the extra slack between the stoma hole and the statlock? Can I tape this to my body is it ok to bend the catheter where it comes out for taping?

Thank you both for the tips. Very helpful. What do you do with the extra slack between the stoma hole and the statlock? Can I tape this to my body is it ok to bend the catheter where it comes out for taping?
    My technique has evolved since that photo. Now, the leg-bag tubing is only ~7" long. The 3" tape holding the catheter has a 1" section that stops at the center of the 3" tape. It is looped over the catheter just behind the Y, which leaves two more inches behind it uninhibited unlike my photo. The new way results in a deal that lasts all month until I change it out. The unsecured catheter naturally takes on an "S" shape. The crotch of my jeans fits naturally into the second bend of the S. It's turned out to be pretty bulletproof; I've never had a cath get crimped doing this. The end exiting the stoma simply hangs down to the S.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Since you asked...I do not follow the closed system model. At night unplug the leg bag and connect the cath to a 2000ml night bag that has a 30? some inch length tube. Rinse the inside of the leg bag thoroughly and hang to dry. In the morning straight into the shower night bag attached. Before or after dressing unplug the night bag and connect the leg bag. Rinse the night bag thoroughly, hang to dry.

Ditched the extra tubing between the cath and leg bag. I wear the bag lose under my shirt, or on top of thigh underneath pants.
    My stoma always seeps over 24-48 hrs. If I do not shower or wash the stoma it stinks after 2 days. Spray water directly on stoma and move the cath around. Goobers are easily seen being rinsed out of the stoma.
    Change cath myself every 3 weeks...no AD or spasms.

Have you considered how you will irrigate the cath if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rook98006; 01-23-2020 at 07:11 PM.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Thanks for your response. I'm a side sleeper. Can the tubing run up and over to the side of bed with the overnight bag? Also what are the signs you need to irrigate? If there is a clog can I use a catheter syringe to push in some saline to clear it?

Yes hang the bag on the side of the bed...tube runs up over my hip depending which side I'm sleeping on. Also sleep on my belly without issues.

I only irrigate when I get a clog. Some do it more frequently. I push and pull on the syringe till satisfied. Here is a thread with a pdf for making your own sterile saline. Keep your equipment clean!!
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ter-irrigation

Search for many threads on this topic. You may want to read up on Microcyn, Renacidin, Vetracyn. My urologist never told me I'd be colonized. Still glad I did it all. Good Luck
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Since you asked...I do not follow the closed system model. At night unplug the leg bag and connect the cath to a 2000ml night bag that has a 30? some inch length tube. Rinse the inside of the leg bag thoroughly and hang to dry. In the morning straight into the shower night bag attached. Before or after dressing unplug the night bag and connect the leg bag. Rinse the night bag thoroughly, hang to dry.

Ditched the extra tubing between the cath and leg bag. I wear the bag lose under my shirt, or on top of thigh underneath pants.
    My stoma always seeps over 24-48 hrs. If I do not shower or wash the stoma it stinks after 2 days. Spray water directly on stoma and move the cath around. Goobers are easily seen being rinsed out of the stoma.
    Change cath myself every 3 weeks...no AD or spasms.

Have you considered how you will irrigate the cath if needed.
    What is holding your bag so snug to your belly?

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    What is holding your bag so snug to your belly?
    Nothing is holding it. Laying flat on my back in that photo...the bag is about 2/3 full.
    T5/6 complete