Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got a Suprapubic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Nothing is holding it. Laying flat on my back in that photo...the bag is about 2/3 full.
    When your upright do you secure it?

No...it's not like it has legs and is going to get up and walk away on it's own. Put some photos in the members forum.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...g-fashion-show
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Maintaining a closed system has been shown in numerous studies to reduce the risks of UTI in those with both indwelling and SP catheters. The same goes for securement, which reduces "pistoning" of the catheter in/out of the stoma or urethra, and also helps to prevent inadvertent dislodgement of the catheter. Similarly, drainage bags should be positioned dependent (below the level of the bladder) for best drainage.

The main advantage of a SP catheter vs. a urethral catheter in those with SCI is that the former eliminates the risks for both urethra damage such as urethral or urethral-scrotal fistulas in men, and patulous (stretched out) urethral in women who use a urethral indwelling catheter long-term.

Be sure you learn the different technique for inserting/changing a SP catheter if you are changing from a urethral indwelling to a SP. This has to do with both how quickly the new catheter needs to be inserted, to how far to insert the catheter. It is possible to pass the catheter too far, which can result in the tip of the catheter passing through the bladder into the urethra, causing damage to the urethra (and in men, the prostate) when the balloon is inflated inside the urethra.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ5389 View Post
    3. I have a pink colored stuff coming from the site which I wear a split guaze around now. Will this always ooze stuff or will it go away with healing?
    Do you mean pink drainage or pink lumpy tissue around the stoma? The former is common with a new SP, and usually decreases with time. The latter is properly called hypergranulation tissue (slang is "proud flesh"). If it is problematic (bleeding, etc.) then your provider can treat it with silver nitrate sticks to cauterize it. The photo below shows a SP catheter stoma with hypergranulation tissue:

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

One other thing I do religiously is to scrub the barbed end of the connector with alcohol prep pad immediatly before plugging it into the cath. Red circle.

Finally...after draining and closing the valve there is always a small amount of urine left in that small drain tube. Blue circle. Daub it with tp or a rag or something to absorb the last drops of urine. Otherwise mine smells.

Finally Finally I save the caps and cover the barb connector after rinsing the bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

JJ5389 what was the procedure like for the suprapubic? How long did it take, how long was your activity limited, was driving limited, etc. I?ve been having problems with cathing lately and my urologist said I may want to get a suprapubic. Are you happy with your decision? Thanks.
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    JJ5389 what was the procedure like for the suprapubic? How long did it take, how long was your activity limited, was driving limited, etc. I?ve been having problems with cathing lately and my urologist said I may want to get a suprapubic. Are you happy with your decision? Thanks.
    Got mine 7 years ago and wish I had done it when I was first injured. Before that I used a condom catheter had many uti's since getting the SP i rarely get them. Im not sure how long the procedure took but i was in & out of hospital in maybe three hours,i was back to my normal routine after the anesthesia wore off.Get the SP, you'll be glad you did i sure am.