Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roho repair?

roho repair?

I just noticed my roho cushion has a leak, does anyone know a method besides putting a rubber patch on it as ive heard they dont last long?

Blog Entries
    Those patches installed properly will last fine. I get new holes before patches fail. Never had one fail really. Even placed on seams between cells and the base. Follow their instructions and it'll work.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I agree with the prior poster. Make sure you clean leak with alcohol and push the patch on hard and hold. I've had rohos for 15 years and only had one patch releak out of 20 or so.

Think alot depends on age of cushion as well as location of leak.
    Reason had leak at just edge of a cell on very old cushion and guess I pulled to hard to get straight spot for patch. I pulled to hard and torn the cell.

That must be a real old unit Mike. A testament to the longevity of a Roho?
    I inflate the cushion and take the opportunity to wash it well while determining where the leak is.
    I dry that spot, clean with isopropyl then flatten as well as possible. I try to keep any stretch to a minimum, whether that is good or bad, who knows. The flatness is more important to me.
    I have only had to do a few and they have all held. One repair the patch was a bit suspect and not as tidy as I would want; so I offset overlaid. It is still holding.

There is a special roho patch. Comes pre glued and you can use it just after applying. Looks like a clear band aid. Works great and so quick

I have a cushion with a leak but when I submerge in water to locate the leak, no bubbles at all. I'm stumped.

There is a 'Super Patch GP-2' by Park sold by bike shops that looks just like what comes with Roho's. I have always assumed that is what it actually was. They do work great. I will try and post a link to Amazon below, else just do a internet search. Cheap, easy to apply, and easy to store.

My experience with Roho's is that they last about 3 years and then start getting leaks. Fix a few times, and then get a new one.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-GP-.../dp/B000WY730O

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    There is a special roho patch. Comes pre glued and you can use it just after applying. Looks like a clear band aid. Works great and so quick
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    I have a cushion with a leak but when I submerge in water to locate the leak, no bubbles at all. I'm stumped.
    Have you tried putting some dish detergent in the water?
    With that type of leak I’ve found it helpful to move around and look closely to base of cells .

Leaks can be hard to find. Mine usually end up being at the base of one of the cells. I can only submerge one part of the cushion at a time. Once submerged, I just move the cells around until I find the leak. Sometimes, it takes quite a bit of fiddling to find the leak.

Also, don't forget to check the bottom of the cushion or the stem (either the rubber stem part or the metal part, is it sealing completely/good when closed?).

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.