Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blister on my heel

The blister needs to heel without getting infected and affecting the bone.The blister could be from pressure. Go to your doctor/wound doctor to help with healing. Don't pop it. I would put Bactroban over it and cover. Don/t wear that shoe.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

DEFENITELY don't pop it! (unless you have unusually quick wound healing properties, unlike any gimp I know!)
    I had a similar manifestation more under the heel which got deflated, became a huge chronic wound!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I will be seeing someone at the medical centre today.
    pfcs49 - did you determine the cause of your injury? I recall catching my foot getting caught up by my castor when my foot dropped; it has happened more than a few times previously.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I will be seeing someone at the medical centre today.
    pfcs49 - did you determine the cause of your injury? I recall catching my foot getting caught up by my castor when my foot dropped; it has happened more than a few times previously.
    Wound Care insisted it was caused by pressure. Didn't seem possible to me. Mine was 1"1/8 diameter. Once it was punctured, the outer skin fell quickly away and it became a terrible wound in a bad location.
    I shouldn't say this, but it was the straw that broke the back! I have had wounds on the right foot most of my 25 years in the chair (and none on the other), and 5 years ago they became much more troublesome/non healing, and started dominating my life which lead to the decision 3 months ago to amputate at the knee. I pretty much got my life back excepting finding how much it affected transfers, which I am handling. Kind of like getting hurt again and learning how to go forward. But I certainly appreciate not having to do wound care every damn day!
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    DEFENITELY don't pop it! (unless you have unusually quick wound healing properties, unlike any gimp I know!)
    I had a similar manifestation more under the heel which got deflated, became a huge chronic wound!

^^^^^^ THIS !!! WISH I WOULD'VE LISTENED YEARS AGO even before i was hurt... They'll heal fast, water goes out, skin gets tight and peels off. Good as new. I've had 3 of the same exact blisters in 9 years. New shoes. Never an issue because I didn't pop them. Good luck

"Heal the heel!"

This does not look like a burn. It is a common blister seen from friction (shoe rubbing, foot dragging on bed with spasms, etc.). As above, keep all pressure off it, don't pop it, and protect it from further friction. No ointments, creams, or special dressings. Clean the skin gently to keep bacterial count down, as if it does pop on it's own this will reduce the risk of infection. It can take weeks for the fluid to re-absorb and for the skin covering it to slough off on it's own.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yes. And I can tell you from experience, even a little pin-prick won't let it deflate and re-adhere to the new surface below it.
    I don't remember where or when, but that dog don't hunt! The old skin has stretched and will have several raised wrinkles which will soon split apart.
    Lesson learned (but how else to learn without making mistakes?) Well, somewhere along the line I learned to listen, but the skeptic in me keeps me busy cleaning up my messes
    NW NJ

OK, update on this blister. After Auckland Anniversary weekend I sent a recent image to our spinal nurse and spoke with her about the progress.
    There has not been any excessive heat at the injury site and I have been using extra caution. I stopped using the zinc as anti bacterial due to the mess it was leaving - that zinc is tenacious stuff. I reverted to using my 'turn to', an Aloe Vera leaf poultice and/or just applying the gel.
    I haven't seen my doctor. I do not recommend this but it has been my decision based on my observation and in communication with the Spinal Unit and District Nurse.
    Here are images taken an hour ago showing the current state of the injury.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by slow_runner; 02-01-2020 at 02:33 PM.

I am very pleased; this morning the blister has lost fluid and is drying. Good progress I think.
    Thanks for all your advice, wisdom and direction.

I am off to the Classic Motorcycle racing this morning to spend time with my Son. I am seriously looking forward to a good time with him.
    As his strength is still compromised, a good friend has lent him his spare chair for the day. Jeez, its better than mine
    We will be on equal terms for the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Glad to hear your foot is doing beyter!
    Cjf