Thread: Ostomy - suppository vs enema irrigation

Ostomy - suppository vs enema irrigation

C5 quad trying to master ostomy irrigation independently.

Why couldn?t a suppository be inserted into the stoma instead of the enema process? Hanging the bag of water, manipulating the water flow of the bag while manipulating the cone in the stoma is a lot to ask of a dexterity impaired quad. And the clean-up is a mess too - why can?t the sleeves be disposable instead of limited to 2 a month?

My ostomy nurse claimed the reason would be because without the anus holding the suppository inside until it dissolves would be impossible. Couldn?t a device, like a suppository inserter be send to hold it in place?

With an ever increasing number of SCI opting for an elective colostomy for bowel management, could there be an easier method of irrigation/elimination?

dumb question why do u need to I have never had to do that. had mine 13 years

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    dumb question why do u need to I have never had to do that. had mine 13 years
    Disrespectful response. No questions should be considered dumb.

Ostomy irrigation is used to regulate your bowels so you can go without a colostomy bag.

Benefits of irrigation

Irrigation can help you to feel more in control of your stoma and more confident.

• Allows you to control when your stoma has output
    • Irrigate at a time convenient for you and remain continent between irrigations
    • Allows you to wear a smaller cap or bag over stoma which can help with body confidence
    • Can help reduce common problems associated with bag leakage such as ‘pancaking’

If there is lack of movement in colostomy- of course it diepends on location of colostomy, the suppository wouldn't work as well as irrigation. It might work in some but not typically. Irrigation as mentioned above, is used to set a routine if possible. And irrigations i.e enemas are used only if absolutely needed if you don't have a colostomy or you will possibly become dependent on enemas/irrigation and then need a colostomy. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post
    Why couldn?t a suppository be inserted into the stoma instead of the enema process? ... My ostomy nurse claimed the reason would be because without the anus holding the suppository inside until it dissolves would be impossible. Couldn?t a device, like a suppository inserter be send to hold it in place?
    my experience with a suppository was as your ostomy nurse suggested, the suppository was always pushed out quickly before melting. My ostomy nurse suggested using a baby soother to hold the suppository in until it melts. But I've not tried that yet. Wouldn't it be risky to push a suppository inserter into the stoma?

I read the earlier poster referring to their question as dumb not yours. ie what advantage does suppository/irrigation provide. For me it would be some control over the timing of when your bowels move, no need to change/empty pouch when away from home.
    Like you I wish there was a way for a quad to irrigate independently.

Irrigation is rarely used any more, but if it is, it is really only used for those with distal (sigmoid or descending colon) colostomies, where the stool if well formed. It is rarely used for those with ascending or transverse colon colostomies. For those who irrigate, some are able to do this only for all evacuation, and don't need to wear an appliance (bag).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I don't know it would be any easier for you to use, but, have you heard of the Irypump? Could an elastic type binder be made to help hold the cone in place? Less fatigue for you. I've looked at the pumps, it would be super easy to modify the controls to possibly make it easier for you to control. It's crazy that you can buy 100, cheap, 13-gallon trash bags for what 1 or 2 sleeves cost.