Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: remote start

Here's what I use: https://mokeyshoping.com/product/bat...yABEgITsfD_BwE

All my vehicles and equipment have a quick connect plug to the battery (one quick connect plug comes with each charger) so I never have to open the hoods. You can buy additional plugs separately.

trickle charger is what I wanted to say I got 1 of those quick connect good idea I will do that tks

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    The only difference between the 750 mA and 1.25 A charger is speed. A 750 mA charger takes 1.7x longer than a 1.25 A charger.

For example, my 1.25 A charger takes about 1 day to fully charge a size 65 battery from 50% charge and about 1.5 days to fully charge a size 95R battery from 50% charge. With the 750 mA charger, those charge times would increase to 1.7 days and 2.5 days.

Of course, if you charge the battery before it gets to 50% charge (as you should) it will take less time. If you leave it on a float charge all the time, speed doesn't matter. Speed only matters when you are charging a depleted battery.

we put trickle ccharger on Monday it would help to if I just would get in van and drive somewhere but I have lost nothing out there I am content here where I live and can ride bike

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I have used them. Don't leave them on over a few days at a time. Once a month is ok. I found out if you leave them on all the time they overcharge the battery and the battery only last a few years. Since going to once a month for just 2 days my battery last 4 to 5 years.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    I have used them. Don't leave them on over a few days at a time. Once a month is ok. I found out if you leave them on all the time they overcharge the battery and the battery only last a few years. Since going to once a month for just 2 days my battery last 4 to 5 years.
    The ones that damage batteries are the types that don't have a float charge mode. This particular one automatically goes into float charge mode when the battery is fully charged in order to prevent overcharging the battery. If you used this exact same model and it damaged your battery, then it was not working properly.

The ones that damage batteries are the types that don't have a float charge mode. This particular one automatically goes into float charge mode when the battery is fully charged in order to prevent overcharging the battery. If you used this exact same model and it damaged your battery, then it was not working properly.
    I have those but they do overcharged the battery if left on all the time. My friend had the same problem. Problem is it does damaged the battery if left on all the time. Just trying to help is all. Do what you like we just found this out a few years ago. If a battery goes down in a month either the battery is no good or you got a draw which is easy to test.
    Art

Good point about not loading a cold battery. I forget about the cold because I live in SoCal.
    That too August. Although what I was referring to was any high load initial start without getting those electrons buzzing about.
    A trick I use when it is cold here (not often and I am talking of frost, not snow) is to momentarily turn the lights on, then off before hitting the starter. Same deal, gets the electrons on the move.
    Plausible? it could be as the battery in my old '94 Toyota Corona gave me 10 years before I replaced it. I could have got a bit more as the starting problem was with the starter solenoid contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    I have an 'Endurant ' Intelligent battery charger that has never cooked a battery. Maybe it is smarter than those cigarette pack size units?

Like these
    http://shell.world-net.co.nz/~kym/ba...rycharger.html

This is the same as mine; only badged as 'Endurant'.
    I have owned it for years. I bought it wholesale. It cost a quid or two more than the battery boilers and was worth every penny.
    http://shell.world-net.co.nz/~kym/ba...er/NS1210.html
    Last edited by slow_runner; 01-28-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    That too August. Although what I was referring to was any high load initial start without getting those electrons buzzing about.
    Well. It can't hurt, even if the battery is fully charged. But if it's not fully charged, you're really taking chances of having the lift fail.

Question is, how do you know the battery charge is good enough? Unless you drive on the highway everyday, the battery charger is a must. I shoot for once a week just to be on the safe side.

How much does a lift deplete a battery?

Each trip you start the car 2x and operate the lift 4x. If the charge it takes to operate the lift equals the charge it takes to start the van, then it's like starting the car 6x each trip. That's triple the load on the battery. Driving on the highway can restore the battery charge. But it's definitely a problem for short trips around town.

The more I think about it, the more I like the remote start. Because as the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.