Thread: Braun discontinues making door openers for their lifts?

Braun discontinues making door openers for their lifts?

Any full size van owners here using Braun power door openers and lifts? I just heard from Mobility Works that Braun has discontinued making their power door openers. This makes no sense to me if they continue making lifts for full size vans because you will have no way to enter or exit van independently! Any truth to this or is Mobility Works saying this to force us into buying mini vans?

I'm still salty that Braun discontinued their Swing-Away lift... That said, the 2020 Ford Transit has factory power sliding door. Doesn't solve the entire issue but maybe a factor in their decision?

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    I'm still salty that Braun discontinued their Swing-Away lift... That said, the 2020 Ford Transit has factory power sliding door. Doesn't solve the entire issue but maybe a factor in their decision?
    Yes, Braun did discontinue the Swing Away and Vangater lifts but they still make the UVL, Mellenium and Century lifts so basically you cannot use these lifts in a Chevy or GMC full size van independently without the power door openers! You are correct the 2020 Ford Transit will offer power door openers for their sliding door in mid 2020 also the Mercedes Sprinter as well.

Braun Swing-Away lift.

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    Braun discontinued the Swing-Away lift because too many children were getting injured by the "scissor" effect when swinging in.

I have had Swing-Away lifts in each of my vans and I like them too. I never had any problems with any of them. They were very well built. I still have one in my current van and I don't know if Braun still has parts for them especially the actuator. Out in Europe they are still available.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

While we're on the topic of the Swing Away: even if you can't get parts from Braun all the main components (including the actuator) can be bought off the shelf. As far as the rest of the parts -- they don't fail, and if they did could be welded or easily fabricated.

Another great thing about that lift is if your function allows you don't need an opener, as long as your van door is a slider.

There's really not much to their sliding door opener, basically a GM power window motor, a mount to hold it, and some chain.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Braun discontinued the Swing-Away lift because too many children were getting injured by the "scissor" effect when swinging in.

I have had Swing-Away lifts in each of my vans and I like them too. I never had any problems with any of them. They were very well built. I still have one in my current van and I don't know if Braun still has parts for them especially the actuator. Out in Europe they are still available.

Ti
    I never knew that was the reason they discontinued the Swing Away lift. I had them in my vans in late 70's through the 80's, they were great, never an issue at all! The Chevy vans I had then had the sliding door and I was able to open and close it without much effort. Wish they still made them with today's electronics, they could add the safety features needed to make them safe again.

The feature that makes the Braun Swing Away lift attractive is that you can enter the lift from the side whereas most other lifts have to be entered from the front. This is important because the Swing Away enables parking in smaller HP spots whereas the other lifts require the full size HP spot.

Don't worry about the Swing Away being discontinued. There is another option in production that is even better. Ricon offers a model of the Uni-Lite that can be entered from the front or the side. It doesn't swing so there is no danger. Personally, I think this is a superior product because a lift with fewer moving parts provides greater reliability.

There is one drawback. Because it doesn't swing, it occupies the doorway. Hence, it requires a door opener. But Ricon offers that too.

The auto door opener I got is the AutoCool kind. I have a Braun Millennium in my 2019 Transit cargo. Which has been such an ordeal. It takes up a lot of room, is super hard for my dogs to enter the van...and has had a host of problems in the 8 or so months since it was installed. Still being worked on. It rattles like a mofo. The remote randomly goes out, and the lift has had numerous glitches. All for 15K. Sigh. Not like I can return it for a refund heh. Oh yeah, it also came beat up and scratched in transit, but they put it in anyway. Now waiting on replacement parts.